+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Possible injectors issue

Default Possible injectors issue

I am getting a small amount of blue smoke while the engine is idling. I noticed after the engine has been warmed up and after a run it will not smoke at idle but after about 10 min it starts to smoke and has a ruff idle. I would call it more of a miss.

Could this be a injector issue? I have owned the boat for two years and dont know the history of repair.

I am thinking rebuilding the injectors would be a good idea anyway.

Marc
    Last edited by Endless Summer; 04-04-2011 at 08:56 PM.
    23 Fishmachine

Marc

Do you have a 40 or 41 in your boat? A little smoke at idle could be a worn injector tip or a weak spring. If you don't know the history, you've got nothing to lose by putting a fresh set of injectors in.

I have all my injector work done at Advanced Diesel Injection down here in San Diego, and the last set cost me $262 to get rebuilt. That was a year and a half ago on my 40.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Mike,

I have the 40, Is it a problem removing them? Is it just remove have them rebuilt and replace?
    23 Fishmachine

It's a pretty easy job. Take the fuel supply and return tubing off, remove the forked clamp and they should pull out. I've heard if they are stuck you need to make a slide hammer type of tool that treads on the fuel supply htreads and give them a knock or two.

You will need to make a long hooked tool to pick the waffer washer out of the bottom of the hole when the injector comes out. I made one out of a welding rod that I flatened and bent over to form a hook.

Save one each of the different copper washers and waffer washer so the diesel shop can match them up and provide you will new stuff to re- install with. I have the torque value written down at home for the clamp bolt for going back together.

Mike

I removed two of the injectors today and called Advanced Diesel Injection they quoted me 80 to 100 bucks for each to rebuild, I thought that was a little steep.

I have a friend who has the pressure tool to measure the pop off. So I think I will order the parts and rebuild myself.

Any ideas on where to find the parts?

Marc
    23 Fishmachine

That's crazy expensive. Back in 98 I paid $246, and in 09 $262 for the full rebuild on the set. Maybe I'm getting a special deal because I always make a point to compliment Tonya on how nice she looks that day when I walk in with my box of parts.

Parts list
    6 Bosch nozzles 0434250063 I paid $16.14 each

6 Bosch wave washers 2430190002 $1.18 each

6 Bosch gaskets 2430206006 $10.54 each. You may not need them if the old ones are good. I think this is the gasket that goes between the 2 halves of the body. D/K 029340-8120 might be an alternate number.

6 Cav? NW5-43W4 washers. Not sure of the manufacture Cav is on both invoices.

When you get the injectors back together and pop test them, you may be looking at another 10 or 15 part numbers for the different shims to adjust the pop off.

Back in 98 I also replaced the 14 small (8mm id) copper washers on the return lines, Bosch 2916710603, and the 6 larger (12mm id) copper washers on the supply lines and hoses. Bosch 2916710608

I've never sourced this stuff, always went through Advanced for the work.

Mike

ps torque is 16.5 foot pound on the hold down nut
    Last edited by NoSlack; 04-05-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks Mike,

I will be leaving for a work trip to Australia for two weeks so I wont get this done for about three weeks.

I will keep you posted.

Marc
    23 Fishmachine

The price sounds about right.....Just had mine done and they were right around 100 bucks a hole. Just hope its not the injector pump, that repair stings! Hope you get it all worked out.....zack

They probably gave you a worst case quote; I did my injectors on my last AD41 probably 4 times over 5500 hours. The most I paid was $100 a hole but it averaged about 35-$40, $250 for a set of 6. I think the labor was around 15-$20 per injector.

Default Just sold a set

I just sold a set to a guy in Australia for $200.
    Four had been rebuilt recently.
    I paid about $600 to rebuild the ones in my 41B, about a year ago.

P

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information