+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Insulated fish hold

Default Insulated fish hold

I was hoping for some thoughts on insulating the fish hold. Filling the hold with ice just does not seem practical unless it is insulated.

Has anyone modified the fish hold for this purpose?

I have thought about a insulated fish bag, I could place it in the hold and fill it with ice. Being in the hold I would expect it would last for some time.

Marc
    23 Fishmachine

I think I can help you with this one. Keep in mind that a bag in the fish box needs to come out and get washed off every time you use it.

Here is what I made for myself(no fish hold).

Here is a drawing someone emailed me of their fish box and I made a custom shaped insulated bag for it.

If you're thinking big, how about a double swordfish bag? Never again will I make one that big.

After making the big bag I had a few scraps left over and made a mini version for myself. Perfect for two limits of cod or a couple 10 pound halibut. This bag goes with me every trip as my ice bag or kill bag if I'm taking a smaller amount of fish.

I have an extra bag hanging in the garage that is 22" by 60" (same size as my swim step bag without the flap with the snaps). This sized bag was for the Seabass divers that are working out of a small boat and taking one or two fish. I think I have $60 in material in that bag if you want it.

It looks like this one without the shoulder straps.

Mike
    Last edited by NoSlack; 01-18-2019 at 07:04 PM.
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Wow that looks good. I will diffidently take it! I plan on putting it down in the fish hold with ice to keep the fish good on those longer trips.

Thanks,

Marc
    23 Fishmachine

Next time we cross paths, I'd like to take a look at your fish hold and how big the hatch for it is. The 60" bag may be hard to get in the hole. and it only hold 5 or 6 tuna.

Mike

Mike ...The one with the shoulder straps looks really nice! LOL your the man!

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlack View Post
    Next time we cross paths, I'd like to take a look at your fish hold and how big the hatch for it is. The 60" bag may be hard to get in the hole. and it only hold 5 or 6 tuna.

Mike
    Ok sounds good Mike. I was also thinking of making one out of an old surf board bag, It might work better if it had square bottom to fit the hold better.

Marc
    23 Fishmachine

Marc

I made a new bag tonight that you might like better than the 60" long bag. I found some carbon fiber look vinyl last week so i ordered enough to do a couple small bags. The bag came out about 36" by 24" and it should stand up with some fish in it. Went with light gray on the inside. Take a close look at the texture on the outside.

Mike

Standing by my rock cod bag. The new bag should hold 150 pounds of cod, a couple 30 pound halibut or 5-6 tuna.
    Last edited by NoSlack; 06-08-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Finished up the second bag today. They are 36" long by 24" tall

Mike

Mike those are so nice I wish I didn't run so much crap off my swimstep during the season or I'd order one; those are better looking than anything I've seen on the shelf yet!

If any of you want to get consistantly strip searched by the DFG when you come in, just stencil "TIME OUT" on the back of the bag and you too will become famous!
    Last edited by DOGHOUSE26; 06-09-2011 at 08:10 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information