+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Installed the original bait tank

Default Installed the original bait tank

When I purchased the boat two years ago after one trip I removed the original bait tank to have more room on the deck. I thought I would be surfing and just relaxing on the boat more so I did not see the need for a bait tank. I figured when I did go fishing I would just put a plastic bait tank on the swim step I have been storing in my garage for the past 5 years.

Well for first eight months I didn't use the boat much because of a divorce and just life happening.

Now I am back to putting my time into the boat doing a few upgrades like, auto pilot, new electronics, re-insulated the motor compartment, replaced both front windows with auto glass, and other various boat maintenance jobs.

Plus fishing (not surfing or sitting around on the boat) every weekend I can so I figured I better put the right bait tank back on. Not to mention having the plastic bait tank on the swim step really took away from the boat I didn't like that look at all. UGLY!! I hope I didn't offend anyone.

After re installing the original bait tank I found some leaks were the fiberglass on the inside had separated. I epoxied the cracks fixed up the plumbing and its ready to go. I also remove the bait pump took it apart and cleaned and just made sure everything looked good, reinstalled some insulation around the bait pump for noise and its ready to go.

Oh yeah does anyone know how many gallons the original bait is? It looks like the same size as the 26 as well.

Marc
    23 Fishmachine

60 gallons. if your tank is real bad(or gets worse) i may have a lead for a used replacement.
    26' billfisher

I think one for the 23 is smaller. Like 46 gallons or something.

Right now I have a 1" inlet and hose feeding the pump to mine and have some issues with it priming. Once it gets going it keeps the bait alive all stinkin' day. I was going to do the route that Jay did and install the biggest damn inlet they have, but I'm kinda afraid to screw with it.
    Allan C.

P.E.T.A MEMBER
    Portagee Euthanizing Terrified Albacore

Hamachi Girl
    1981 23' Albacore Special

Hey Marc, I remember seeing that tank when I came by your place.

Sounds like you are doing a bunch of work. Post some pics when you can, I'd like to see how its coming along.

Can't remember what size my factory tank was. It had to be around 46 or so, I put a Offshore 65 gal. in and it seems big. I call the new tank the deck level swimming pool. I found my old for sale ad on the tank. Here were my measurements if anybody with a 26' can compare:

- Foot print is 20"w x 38"l. Tank size, 18"w x 36"l x 32"h. 34"h at top.

That picture of the fitting / valve in my fix up thread is for the drain. I wanted that big valve on it just in case. If I remember right, the intake is still 3/4". My biggest problem with getting it to prime is the fact the boat hasnt been in the water in a stinkin' year! Turns out they dont prime in the driveway too well. I know that the closer / lower you get the pump to the intake or thru hull the easier it should prime. The new pump on my center console mounts right to the thru hull. Never an issue.
    "Blackbird"
    1983 23' Billfisher

Thanks guys for your thoughts.

Jay I will post some pics of the work Ive done.

By the way I was just figuring out how long it should take to fill the tank 6 to 8 minutes seems about right. Mine is taking twice that long. I have a shirflo 800 anyone know how to find out if it isnt working I want to make sure I dont have a plumbing issue.

Marc
    23 Fishmachine

Quote Originally Posted by Endless Summer View Post
    Thanks guys for your thoughts.

Jay I will post some pics of the work Ive done.

By the way I was just figuring out how long it should take to fill the tank 6 to 8 minutes seems about right. Mine is taking twice that long. I have a shirflo 800 anyone know how to find out if it isnt working I want to make sure I dont have a plumbing issue.

Marc
    You asked for it LOL

I would say that's about correct. It's higher math to figure how the pump will flow at each increase in head pressure (height).

It flows in a straight line relation to the height 800 at 0' and 0 at 9' at 4.5 feet is about 400 gph.

Here is a link to the spec sheet.

http://legacy.shurflo.com/pdf/Marine...00-010-030.pdf

Last edited by Knot Now; 05-25-2011 at 09:41 PM.
    Knot Now
    Phil

Default Bait tank

Hi Mark,

I still have the original system in the boat and it takes right at 10 mins to fill the tank
    Eric 26 Billfisher "REEL NASTY"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information