+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 turbos are stuck.

Default 2 turbos are stuck.

Went out on Memorial Day to give my boat a shake down. Have not been in the water for almost a year. Ran the engine on the trailer at home during the winter. I guess it is not a good thing to let a diesel engine sit too long if it has a turbo. Started out bad and got worse. Couldnt find the boat drain plug. Found a new one after about 1 hour of tearing everything up around the area of the sink, which is were I faithfully put it all of the time. Then vessel assist brought in a sailboat that went on the rocks. He came my way so I helped them out. Coast Gaurd was there doing there paperwork and I asked if they would do me a safety ck. Said yes but after 45 minutes with the other guy they said they had to leave so I asked what they ck for and I found my flares expire in Jan. He said I needed two extinguishers and I only had one but have 2 halon as a back up. So flew over to West Marine and got the 2 xtinguishers and day/night flares. Almost got the wrong ones. day only. So I take a few relatives for a short boat ride to see how the boat runs. Took her up to 2000 and temps, oil press and volts seemed good. Got out to the bait barges and started to throttle up and seemed like no more speed, turned to ck exhaust and it looked like a black hurricane following me, twirlying black smoke. . Back to dock, cked turbos and both would not turn. Toady is another Day and things went differently. Pull ed off the air cleaners again to remove filter housing and used a 15 mm open end to turn the turbos. Stbd more difficult. Port turned a few times and it turned easily. Anybody know of any carbon cleaning additive methods to add into the fuel? John B. said to removed exhaust elbow and file off the carbon. I need new air cleaner housing. Someone posted something ahwile back on converting over to different air cleaners. Has anybody modified the old style air cleaners for the TAMD 41?

HI Al.... Sorry about the shakedown cruise, better in the bay than outside! Was the carbon on the housing causing the impeller to not spin or the turbo bearings? Hope you get them all cleaned up. On my 41 I removed the metal air cleaner housing and rusty screen, and replaced with the plastic model. They also have a breather tube for that goes back into valve cover. It kept the engine box a lot cleaner. I think Sharon at H & H ordered it for me.. Zack

Al, if you need a turbo let me know.
    26' billfisher

Follow John's advise on cleaning the exhaust side and you should be fine. The clearence is less than .010", so a little rust in the off season will close that gap right up.

Air filter up grade http://www.walkerairsep.com/product_detail.asp?id=625

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Thanks to Zack, Jason and Mike for the replies. I will give Sharon a call, Mike. I am figuring if the carbon or rust buildup is causing the restriction, once the turbo freed up by hand, when I run the engine it would clean up any remaining crust. Only took a very little pressure to free them up. Port only needed 1/2 turn and it turned easily. Stbd a little more. I dont want to be lazy while I have it apart but my past experience is if you dont need to take something apart don't. John B. suggested taking the exhaust side out and file off the carbon. I think it will be ok. Kind of like plumbing under a sink, once I get into something I will replace everything that may look suspicious. How much for the Turbo Jason, send me a message. By the way my brother Ray lives in Santee. Mike is there something I can add to the fuel to help clean out any carbon? I rebuilt my carbs on my Yamaha outboard and used Power Tune. It works much better then the new type of B12 carb cleaner. It foames up and pushs any sludge or gas gum out of idle jets. I recommend highly for cleaning carbs that have sat for years. When I bought the 18 ft. Parker cc with a 115 Yamaha from Jeff at EW Trucking on Federal, he said the boat had set for 6 to 7 years. Price, $4000. Great price for having to rebuild two carbs and add some newer Electronics. I am starting to ramble on, Al out.

If you got them to spin, run it and be happy.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Port side freed right up and started up ok ran it for about a minute still spinning after I shut down the engine. Feels and spins easy now.. The Stbd was a little more stubborn. Started up engine and the turbo would spin a little then slow to almost a stop then spin a little then stoped. I got a 15 mm socket with a extension, swivel and adapter on a drill. Started the engine with the socket on the turbo and ran the drill for about 10 to 15 seconds and then pulled it off. Ran the eninge for about 5 minutes and shut down. The turbo spun ok to a stop and is now freed up. Debating on getting the new washable air filters now or wait till my next oil change. A friend told me I should change the fuel filter for added insurance, in respect to insuring that the engines burn clean. Thanks for everyones your help. What's next? ! TUNA!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information