My brine consists of salt and water. If I’m doing frozen fish I just thaw the chunks in the brine overnight, cut them up in the morning, soak for another couple of hours and then place on racks until the fish has drained completely (Approx 1 hour). I then pepper it, pile on the brown sugar and into the smoker it goes. I generally use oak because that’s what I have a lot of and I don’t think it makes much difference. Don’t use mesquite as it tends to leave a bitter residue on the meat. I hot smoke (Approx 250º) for a shorter period of time (1 ½ to 2 ½ hours) as I feel it gives a moister better tasting product. The shelf life isn’t as long as a longer cooler smoke but it’s good for four or five days in the refrigerator or can be frozen. It doesn’t usually last that long under any circumstances. I agree with Mike the bellies are the best but they are rich.

If I’m working with fresh fish I try and do canning and smoking on the same day. It’s a whole day but a lot of finished product and only one stinking mess to clean up.