+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Brine Recipe!

Lightbulb Need Brine Recipe!

I want to smoke some albies. I'm still searching for the "best" brine and technique/process for smoking. How about posting your favorite and lets check it out. Also, what's your favorite type of wood to use for smoking?
    Last edited by Nomad; 07-02-2004 at 09:28 AM.
    Charlie
    NOMAD

I only smoke the belly meat. Nice and greasy when it's done.

I let it soak for 3 days in teriyaki, brown sugar, liquid smoke and some salt. I never write down how much of each so every batch is different.

I'm going with hickory chips tonight. No idea what I've used in the past, the bag got tossed years ago.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

I use equally parts of soy sauce, brown sugar and red wine. Soak it over night and use hickory chips in the smoker. Never had any complaint with this recipe.

Red wine, hmmm thats a neat twist!
    Charlie
    NOMAD

A big bottle of tobasco or a jar of red chile pepper flakes. Apple wood since I have one in the yard....rt

Sleigher Guest

Default Simplicity is the key.

Table salt
    Brown sugar
    Maybe some pepper if I remember
    Some lemon juice If I have any
    I like pecan chips but I don't think it matters
    Brine it for 6-12 hours depending on what you feel like. The longer you brine the saltier the fish.
    Make sure you have a big water bowl for your smoker.
    Smoke it for around five hours depending on the size of your fish.

Peter

Pistolero Guest

I use a brine of approx. 1 part brown sugar, half part soy sauce, lemon pepper, pickled ginger, garlic powder and a dash of red wine or rice wine vinegar. Marinate overnight, drain and air dry, then sprinkle coarse black pepper on the pieces and put them in the smoker.

Default Tuna smoking

My brine consists of salt and water. If I’m doing frozen fish I just thaw the chunks in the brine overnight, cut them up in the morning, soak for another couple of hours and then place on racks until the fish has drained completely (Approx 1 hour). I then pepper it, pile on the brown sugar and into the smoker it goes. I generally use oak because that’s what I have a lot of and I don’t think it makes much difference. Don’t use mesquite as it tends to leave a bitter residue on the meat. I hot smoke (Approx 250º) for a shorter period of time (1 ½ to 2 ½ hours) as I feel it gives a moister better tasting product. The shelf life isn’t as long as a longer cooler smoke but it’s good for four or five days in the refrigerator or can be frozen. It doesn’t usually last that long under any circumstances. I agree with Mike the bellies are the best but they are rich.

If I’m working with fresh fish I try and do canning and smoking on the same day. It’s a whole day but a lot of finished product and only one stinking mess to clean up.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

Default Easy is my middle name !

If you ever get lazy just try Costco's Yoshido Teriyaki Sauce soaked overnight in plastic zip locks, then I cook @ 150 for 3 hrs. for pieces 1 1/2-2inches thick;cook a little less if thinner. Vacuum seal lasts 6 months in cold refridgerator, longer if frozen but I prefer never frozen. Great taste but I'm still looking for a thick glaze to spred over the top like what Sportsmans Seafood puts on theirs!

Default After experimenting - this is what I've found to be the best

Fresh water rinse, drain (no brine - it's too salty)
    Sprinkle fish with Pappy's Seafood Spice
    Charcoal is Walmart's large with Mesquite
    Pecan Wood chunks from Barbecue's Galore soaked in water for an hour or so
    I use a water pan with mine (helps keep the fish from drying out)
    Light the charcoal until white
    Place spiced fish on grates
    Place pecan chunks on charcoal
    Smoke for three to three and half hours.
    The temp should range from 175' to 250' (200' is ideal)
    If you like your fish like jerky, smoke it longer (four to five hours). I have found that at three hours it's cooked and is easily flaked to put on salad's or on crackers with Monterey Jack cheese (a bottle of chardonnay wine goes well also).

Vacuum pack after it's cool

Enjoy,
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information