+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: air lock

Default air lock

I am having problems with my raw water pump getting a air lock when I put the boat in the water. If I crack open the sea strainer and and get the vacc off it starts pumping fine.41p any Solutions?

New seal fixed mine. Before I got around to replacing the seal, I would fill the basket with water to prime it, other wise it would never start pumping.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Sounds like I may need a new seal or spare pump. Do you know what the Johnson pump # is and cheapest place to get one? Seal part#? where?
    Thanks for the info.
    Jeff

Jump in here Zack. Is the pump the same on the 41 and 42? If so Zack should have the seal number. I'm running a bigger pump on the 40, so my seal number is different.

I think the 41s are running the Johnson F7B-9 series pump
    http://www.pumpagents.com/JohnsonPumps/10-24061-3.html
    http://www.pumpagents.com/pdf/Johnso...10-24061-3.pdf

Mike
    Last edited by NoSlack; 08-22-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks Mike, I will give them a call in the A.M. Grant @ Sea & Ski Marine said he would sell a re-built(volvo) for for $300. What do you think?
    Jeff

I can't imagine needing a spare if you can easely get to your pump and change the inpeller. I can't, so the pump has to come off the engine to do the impeller. For that reason I have a spare ready to go in the boat. If I eat an impeller, I'm pulling the pump anyway, why not stick on a spare that is ready to go and get back to fishing.

When you do the seal, give the bearings a good spin and see how they sound. Just a few minutes more work to replace them too. Before you get the pump apart call me, I'll have a few helpfull hint to pass along.

Mike

If you shut the valve after you shut off the engine but before you pull the boat out of the water and open the valve after you get in the water but before you start the engine you shouldn’t have a problem.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

I keep the boat on a trailer, so when I got her I was going to do the right thing and flush it out good w/saltaway but could not get good water pumbing out. I burned up the imperlle doing that but did not over heat.But I have had heating problems 3 out of 4 trips sence then, so I may have damaged the seal. I have 2 impellers onboard and don't mind spending the $$$ for a extra pump.Just want fix the problem and not over heat the engine.
    I wasn't thinking about the seal, but that just might be the problem.
    thanks for the advice and I WILL CALL YOU.
    Jeff

Yale, that did cross my mind. I put sailtX in there to nutrilize the system and shut off the valve going to the raw water pump. JUST have to rember to OPEN it b 4 starting the engine . I would still like to keep a sprair pump just in case. If the fish start running I like to venture offshore as far as I can go and want be able to fix what I need too.

Jeff, the buyer of my skippy changed to a new pump and the air-lock problem went away. Having said that, I would talk to Mike and get the seals replace first. You may want to try Yale's tip too. He knows a thing or two about the Patron

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information