+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Volvo AD30

Talking Volvo AD30

I just took delivery yesterday of a used (1000 hr) ad30 and dp outdrive. I am planning on repowering the Hook with this. Thanks Mike for the lead on this deal. I think it looks to be in pretty good shape although I dont yet know the ins and outs as to what to look for. I plan to keep this engine and drive in my garage and go through it, replacing the easy stuff like hoses, impeller, oil and fuel filter etc. I would love it if one of you veterns could stop by my house some day soon and check it out visually and give me some pointers as to what to look for, replace or check into. The outdrive looks like a 280 with a dp on the lower but I cant tell. I would love it if I could take the lower off of it and bolt it on my current 280. That would save some work and money for me and whomever installs it. Recommendations on an install would be great too. I am thinking I may want to bite the bullet and have the Blackmans do it. That way I know it will be right. Anyway. I do have a few questions here.

Where is the best place to get a good mechanics manual.
    Where is a good place online to browse parts and to get them online or local.
    Big question: Is this going to fit in my Blackman 20. Looks a little big.
    What are some of key areas on this motor that I should be focusing on.

I know I should have researched some of these questions prior to making the purchase, but it was ebay and I needed to pull the trigger when I did. Besides, for 3,500 bucks for everything, it was worth the gamble. If this pans out, I could end up with a really nice diesel skiff. Thats the plan. Any help and or input would be great.
    Thanks for your time.
    Doug Medve
    "Captain Hook"
    1982 Blackman Fishmachine 20

Doug

Nothing on my calander for today(Sunday), so I could drop by with a shop manual along with your chair from the BBQ.

The lower end will bolt right up to your drive with a little shim ckeck/adjustment. One hour job and you can enjoy that upgrade right away.

Mike 619 465-1617
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Angry ad30

Great Mike. I just have to step out now for a couch delivery but will be in for the rest of the day. I will call you. Thanks again!

Correction: My day just got filled up. I will try and get with you soon Mike. Thanks again for your time.
    Last edited by CAPTAIN HOOK; 07-11-2004 at 12:48 PM.
    Doug Medve
    "Captain Hook"

Angry Scratch That

Wife just filled up the rest of my day. I will try and get with you soon Mike. Thanks again for your help.
    Doug Medve
    "Captain Hook"

Ok Doug

If I get by Blackmans next week, I'll ask around about a used gauge panel and cable that I can re-wire to mate up to that engine.

Mike

Default Thanks Mike!

Mike wont my current gage panel work. It has all new gages installed. They are teleflex premier fog frees. I know the tach would be different but how about the others. Also, I pulled the lower unit off the drive and am cleaning it all up for paint. The props were in great condition and slipped right off of the spline with no effort. Looks like those were kept pretty clean. The engine did come with some kind of harness that plugs into the engine and has battery connections comming out of it. I am thinking that is the main harness. Let me know what you find in a gage panel. I sure would like to use the one I have if at all possible.

Thanks again, and sorry about sunday. Wife was really using up my time.
    Doug
    Doug Medve
    "Captain Hook"

We might be able to use some of your panel, but the diesel needs things like a glowplug switch and light. The tach on the 30 will come off a magnetic pickup on the injector pump instead of the alternator.

It's just a matter of hooking things up and seeing if the gauges are scaled to the sensors on the new engine. You can always swap sensors to go with the gauges.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information