+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maui 10/15/2011

Default Maui 10/15/2011

Just got back from a nice relaxing vacation on Oahu and Maui. Got to sneak in a day of fishing too. Called around to the local charters and found a shared trip on the Desperado that was a five minute walk from our hotel. Met the other shared charter people on the beach at 6:30 and hopped on a 10ft RIB to the waiting Bertram 31. The beach launch was interesting, but Cap'n Don had done it once or twice before and nobody got wet. It wasn't long before the 4-53 Detroits were screaming and we were running south to deep water at Warp speed (14knts). After about 30 minutes of running we slowed to trolling speed and Cap'n Jeremy (licensed captain/deckhand) put out the six line spread. 45 or so minutes of dragging skirts one of my lines pops off the rigger and I'm sitting in the chair laying the hurt to a good sized Do-Do. Within a few minutes we had her up to the boat where Jeremy grabbed the leader and sunk the gaff.

50" Bitch Do-Do (my 1st BTW). 27-30lbs est.

...and that was the only fish we caught for the rest of the day.

Jeremy filleted the fish and I split one side with the other shared charter (couple from Sacremento and an Aussie lady). The Don and Jeremy go the other side. Nobody went hungry that night for sure. That night I grilled my fish as I watched the sunset. Made for one heck of a meal that night. Pretty much doesn't get any better than that.
    Allan C.

P.E.T.A MEMBER
    Portagee Euthanizing Terrified Albacore

Hamachi Girl
    1981 23' Albacore Special

Nice fish! I had heard that the crew keeps the fish and not the paying customers, glad to see thats not the case. Maybe I'll look for a charter in Kauai next summer!
    Charlie
    NOMAD

Charlie,

It's true, in Hawaii the boat keeps the fish, but depending on the boat and crew they might send you home with some. I guess it's best to work it out up front before you give up your cash. Jeremy said for Mahi-Mahi they get $3p/lb wholesale, so you can see where it would help the boat's income.

Most of these guys are hurting right now, so cash talks. Shared charters $180-200 are obviously cheaper than $800-1000 p/day. Contact the boat owner and not the broker, it's cheaper that way too.

On Kauai you are limited to a handful of boats. Cap'n Jude runs a 31 Bertram called The Big To Do. I've heard some positive things about him and the harbor he runs out of on the SW side is a lot calmer than Nawhilliwilli is. Every "good day" out of SE side there is a friggin' small craft advisory.

If you get up near the Princeville area check out the "boat ramp". It's pretty much a beach launch with about 1/2 mile of reef you have to steer the boat through. Nuts.

There is a 26' Billfisher parked near Nawhilliwilli. It was funny seeing a Blackman 2400nm from it's birthplace. Maybe there is a way to get in touch with the owner and be a boat Ho.
    Allan C.

P.E.T.A MEMBER

Hamachi Girl

I have a timeshare at the Marriott and our room ovelooks Nawhilliwilli. Some days I see them going out and its nice and calm until they get outside the breakwater then all hell breaks loose. Ill look into the boat when Im there, thanks for the tip!
    Charlie
    NOMAD

I think Channel 10s Marty Levin took his 26' Billfisher to Hawaii, maybe he has a house or condo nearby.

Going to Maui next month with some friends. Is there anything going on with local fishing close to the Island this time of year? Will be there for 7 days Nov, 11th to the 18th.

Alfred,

I'll ask my friend Ben who lives up north by the lighthouse what's going on at that time. I'll put a list together for good places to eat while you are there. For instance, Malassada Lady shows up around 10am in front of the Kmart. The best Malassadas you're ever going to eat (don't tell my Mom). I would bring a rod or just buy one there at Walmart. Plenty of places to fish from shore, just pull over to the side of the road and fish.

What you need to do is just mover over there and I'll ship my 23' for you to take care of.
    Allan C.

P.E.T.A MEMBER

Hamachi Girl

Allen, thanks for the help. I guess I would need to get a license.

Make sure you're sitting down for this... in Hawaii you only need a fishing license is you fish freshwater. Saltwater fishing in Hawaii doesn't require all the BS we have to get in CA.
    Allan C.

P.E.T.A MEMBER

Hamachi Girl

Wow, what a deal!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information