+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AD41P Frozen Turbo

Default AD41P Frozen Turbo

Turbo charger's frozen on my buddies 41p. He had surgery this last year and was only able to start it on the trailer a few times in the last 18 months. Not good. I removed air cleaner, loosened nut on impeller shaft and was able to free up impeller but, shaft is frozen. Thinking exhaust side is gummed up. I am hesitant to put a ratchet on the shaft nut and try to free up impeller with some torch. I am hoping I don't have to remove Turbo and send to Bosch. Been down that road before. Pricey. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Zack
    Last edited by Pez Espada; 11-26-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Remove the elbow on the exhaust side to see what is binding. Problem is almost always on the exhaust side. Could be something as simple as a big chunk of rust you can pick out .

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Mike, while writing this post, I was hoping to get a response from you. Your suggestion was going to be my next move.

Your the bomb

Thank you, Zack

Mike,

Problem solved. Took about an hour to free her up as there was lots of corrosion. Now she's smooth as silk. Your input is always appreciated.

Thank you, Zack

You had better luck then me. I did not remove fresh water and some got into the exhaust and I had to dry it out with some rags and verify no water go into the valves. Turned the engine over and it did not bind up. My turbos were binding due to corrosion on the exhaust side. Be sure to take it for a spin and get it nice and warm. The engines do not like to sit. I still have not gotten my turbo back yet from action Tubo. I give up.

I have been experiencing a low power situation and discovered some things wrong and have been fixing them as I find them
    first off the electomagnetic clutch was shot on the compressor, found and fixed that.Then aftercooler was shot and leaking so I replaced that, down stream from that is the charge air sensor that was bad (probably due to the leaking C.A. cooler) put that in new. after each fix I had the same problem, No power. The turbo was replaced right before I aquired this boat so I did not feel that it needed to be addressed, as a last resort I took the elbow off the exhaust to look at the new turbo, Bingo its frozen solid at only three hours of run time.
    The question is when I pulled it out I found it to be clean and dry inside, evidence of coolant flowing, oil where it should be, no rust or foriegn material inside. what could have made this fail? did Volvo send out a defective turbo?
    I am interested in finding the source of the problem before I reinstall and sieze another one
    I really wish I had a better subject for a first post. By the way its a KAD 300-a

Glad you got on the site grey goose. The low power issue may not be the turbo...I believe your engine has a module that kick in/out the compressor to turbo...I had to replace that on my kad43...do you hear your compressor kick in after 1,500 rpm and off after 2,500 rpm? If you don't that module maybe your problem seeing how you just redone the clutch.
    Your turbo does not kick in until after 2,500 rpm so if you have low power from start to 2,500 and she all of a sudden takes off like a bat out of hell; your problem is still related to the compressor.

Good luck with the new gal. Glad to see she's still in OC.

Alan

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information