+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil sample

Default Oil sample

Off season projects. Any pros or cons to getting an oil sample to make sure oil doesn't have any impurities. Engine runs great. No fluid loss and normal smoke.

Thanks in advance, Zack

I did the oil analysis bit for the first few oil changes after I put in the new Yanmar in my boat. I my opinion it is not really all that helpful. Report gives detailed information on all kinds of elements. All were in "normal" range except for a couple of values - so then I can worry about that! Re-rested at next oil change and high values went down ...... so I gave up and just change the oil every 100 hours no matter what ..........runs perfectly ...no smoke and no leaks..........I got enough to worry about and didn't need to know that chromium or silicon levels were a few parts per million higher that the time before so I gave up doing it. My two cents worth .....Charley

Charley,

Thanks for the reply. Went ahead and got an oil analysis and all was in normal range. Feel the same way about the test. How's the boat running. I owned her back in the 90's. I built the tower and put the bait tank on her. That straight shaft is the bomb. I followed your thread on the repower you did on her. I would imagine the performance has change a bit. For your info, I put a a lot of Albacore on her including a 65 pounder off of Morro Bay back in 99. Zack

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information