+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stripped screw holes for side covers.

Sleigher Guest

Default Stripped screw holes for side covers.

Hi all,
    The screws that hold my interior coves in place are falling out. The covers are relatively thin fiberglass and they screw into relatively thin fiberglass.
    I know that I could just use bigger screws but that starts getting ugly when they don't all match.
    Any thoughts on an easy fix?
    I was thinking about little fiberglass patches or getting some of the two part epoxy and filling the holes in and starting from scratch.
    All comments are appreciated.

Peter

I can't think of exactly what you mean by interior coves? If I could picture the situation, I know of a couple of possible ways to properly repair stripped out fiberglass screw holes.
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Peter,

I think your later solution for the holes is the best method. West Marine puts out a good fiberglass and wood repair booklet. It cost about $4.00. One of the fixes they describe is the screw hole problem. Basically, they say to drill out the hole a quite bit bigger than the original, then fill it with two part epoxy and possibly a filler like west system's 406, let it dry thouroughly. Drill it with a bitt one or two sizes smaller than the desired screws you plan to secure the cover with. Seems to work.

Scott

Sleigher Guest

Default Clarification

I have an inboard so I may have one more cover than an I/O. There is one in the stern and one on each side mid-cockpit. They provide access to some hoses and the stern light. On the port side it provides access to the fuel fill hose.
    The material is not more than a 1/4" thick. It is the kind of thing that on cars you would find a slide on thread. I thought of doing that but I know it would leave a rust trail.

Thanks again,

Peter

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information