+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need to vent.

Default I need to vent.

Just had John Benson do some major repairs to my boat about a month or so ago. Thought I was ready to go fishing. Weeeelll, Started with the master cylinder leaking when I returned the boat from Johns. Noticed some brake fluid leaking so I took it apart and ended up buying another master cylinder. Then progressed to bleed brakes, NOT. The backup solonoid to stop brakes from engaging when going backwards was stoping me from using the vacuum bleeder. So I removed the solonoid and hooked up brake line direct to the master cylinder. Then I tried to move the surge brakes but they were stuck. Replaced the 2 dampers (shock absorbers) and rebuilt the entire system. With help from my son in law. Looked ok so I started to vacuum bleed the brakes, NOT. The fittings that come with the bleeder device are plastic and I could not get a vacuum. Ended up using the taperd fitting , removed the bleeder valve and screwed into the threaded caliper fitting. Still was getting plenty of air. So I got a pliers and screwed the plastic fitting hard into the caliper fitting. Finaly got up to 15 inches of mercury and slowly dropped. So I kept going. Had a friend come over to help me test everthing. OH , I am now using a 5/8 inch bar to stop the surge brake mechanism to slide, so it wont push the master cylinder and stop trailer. So now into the engine. Stbd engine started and ran ok but the braket to hold the raw water filter strainer pulled off the bulk head and hanging into the bilge. Will fix tomorrow. Port engine no start. Thought it was the starter but ended up a easy fix. Starter relay in black box on engine (tamd41) not working. disconnected and found a burnt looking substance on two termanals. Talked with John and so I flipped relays and engine started, meaning just some dirty connections from lack of use. Sprayed some electronic cleaner and problem solved. So I just need to secure Stbd strainer to bulk head. Suppsoed to be a simple fix. Three days later and I still not able to take the boat out. Shack down coming next week. I hope this thing is ready b4 tuna season. So that is my story. I hope this makes you guys feel good. If the tuna doesnt come in this year or I dont use the boat and have some fun this summer, I am thinking of selling it and getting some property. Sounds like ocean water temp are coming up. I heard 63 degs. I hope it stays up for awhile. See you guys out there I hope. kind of a long post but I guess I'm feeling sorry for myself. Rant over

Al, I went through the same trailer woes last season. Ended up replacing everything on trailer but the frame.like new now! They sure don't like to sit.gonna prep my old girl this weekend.hopefully I solved all the troubles last season. Since I only took it out once since April 2010.
    26' billfisher

I am still in the driveway after last week with another shake down. Replaced all 4 truck tires in the rear dually and truck starting to act squirly. Towed the boat down to the ramp and at 40 mph, trailer started to fish tail. Engines ran ok but stbd set off the overtemp alarm when kicking it up to full throttle. I might have the murphy gauge set to low, about 190. I think operating temps is 205 deg. bait pump did not pump much, found out I had reversed the wires when installing another $450 orvendorf bait pump. White from the breaker is hot, blk is the neutral, so that got me going. Now the large back bilge is blowing the 10 amp fuse . only had a 20 so installed the larger fuse, and it triped the bilge breaker. Ran it at home and it now blue the main breaker. Now I am worried, is it the pump or weak breaker or some bad connections. No room to get the pump out threw the oval hatch. Throttle cables sticking so going to replace all of the morrris cables with teleflex, teflon coated cables. Trailer winch stripped handle and replaceing all of the u bolts an d nuts with SS. What next???? Boats, cant live with them and cant live without them, Oh that is supposed to be women. That is why the y call boats ladies/women. Another rant over. is it just me or what.

Yea I know what ur talkin about just a little different story thou.
    Blew an achillies 3 months ago. Been very depressed especially after reading some of the WSB & Bft reports.
    I've even loaded up the boat cooler with samies & beers invited Bro-n- law over for a little fishn in da drive way. Bait pump, marine band, run-n. Bought a little fresh fish from Tommy G. & BBQd. All better now.
    CRAZY.......
    Need to change my job status to retired.
    Royal Hook

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information