+ Reply to Thread

Thread: boat stripes

Default boat stripes

boat stripes I'm redoing the stripes on the boat.What is the paint used on the flybridge? We have the lower stripes removed.What is the best way to remove the residual glue to prep the surface for the new stripe?Is the use of paint clearly superior to vinyl tape for the flybridge?Is the job a reasonable DIY?

As far as the residual glue.... try acetone on a small area it should work fine as long as it does'nt pull anthing else up (paint/gel coat). I,ve personally have never done the strips but I would probably go with the tape (cause I'm getting lazy as the years go by). Maybe Allan on the Hamachi Girl can help you with the paint as he did his last summer.
    Good Luck
    Mikey
    Royal Hook

Kevin,

I removed my stripes with a razorblade and then took off the residual sticker goo with acetone... LOTS of it! I wetsanded the hull with 1000grit then ran a buffer with a wool pad and polishing compound. She looked as good as new.

Paint vs. Vinyl Boot stripes, I would go with vinyl from Pro Stripe. If applied the correct way they should last 7-8 years and not a PITB to remove. If you want to do a tape stripe on your flybridge then that's move complicated because of the compound curve and getting the stripe to make the turn. There is also an issue with the front of the flybridge laying back at an angle. A 2" stripe layed at 45 degrees looks like a 1" stripe.

You're up in Vista I'm in Escondido... not too far. You can stop buy and check out what I did on Hamachi Girl and/or I could stop buy and help you out.

Allan

Allan C.

P.E.T.A MEMBER
    Portagee Euthanizing Terrified Albacore

Hamachi Girl
    1981 23' Albacore Special

Thanks for the info.I really appricate it.WE took the strips off and cleaned the surface.GOt a reasonable bid from a pro out of Oceanside Marine Center and decided to let them do it.Still to decide on the painted band.Your right Allen the band doesn't lend itself to a tape.Again mucho thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information