+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blackman molds

Default Blackman molds

They are on Craigslist.$8500 for the 26' billfisher mold?? Got my wheels turning..... Don said the mold cost him $200,000.back in late 90's. Building a new redesigned billfisher would be way cool.no wood,only composites. Anyone in? Lol!
    26' billfisher

You better ask the wife first. Didn't you learn anything from last weeks lesson? I heard the molds are a little rough and the last few boats needed a lot of hand work to get the parts looking smooth.

Allan (Hamachi Girl) bought the 20' molds. maybe we'll see a new 20' on the market in the near future.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Seriously... I wanna be there when all the tooling shows up! I'll bring the beer and Mike can bring the BBQ.

When I get back from China I'll order up some Orange gelcoat for Mikes 20'... Lil' Slack
    Allan C.

P.E.T.A MEMBER
    Portagee Euthanizing Terrified Albacore

Hamachi Girl
    1981 23' Albacore Special

Yeah I'd prefer to keep my manhood parts intact. She would flip if I told her I was building a new boat.lol!
    26' billfisher

Default 26 molds

The 26 molds actually looked in pretty good shape and as for the finish I bought the last 26 and have it sitting in the driveway next to the 20 molds and it looks great! The biggest challenge for most people is storing all the molds, there is a bunch of them.My guess is that it would cost closer to 300k to duplicate today.

I think I heard there were alot of repairs to the gel coat of your hull once it left the mold; with all the new EPA rules the formulas for the gelcoat have changed quite a bit over time which led to several imperfections that had to be addressed once the hull left the mold, I know they had quite a bit of time invested in the last 3 or so boats to come out of the 26 molds. It will be a long time before there is a market for a new $150K-200K 26 foot boat; you can get the slightly used ones for slightly over 50% of that now. Whomever buys those molds will have to sit on them for a long, long time if it ever becomes feasible again.

Dock total, do you have the mold for the fuel tank cover? I need to replace mine as I am removing the bait tank.

Thanks Randy

I don't think Steve has sold the molds yet I could be wrong

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information