+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thinking about a floscan for my diesel, twin engines.

Default Thinking about a floscan for my diesel, twin engines.

Anybody use a floscan type of monitors to check the fuel usage for their engines. Thought about only buying one and maybe bring fuel line together to monitor both engines at the same time. Maybe not doable . Not sure what items need to be hooked ujp. Last time I researched the price, it was pricey and could not afford it. Running botrh engines I have been fairly accurate on using 1.5 miles per gallon. I have twin tamd 41's. Not sure were my best fuel usage is. Found a chart opn line and I thought it was about 1200 rpms and then again upwards of about 2000. Just trying to pick some brains out there. Al

Al

I don't think the investment would ever pay off. With twins you need two sets of floscans. You select the model based on what engine you have. Supply and return rate are different for every engine and trying to guess what model would work when you combine the engines would be an expensive guess.

Let's say you spend $1500 on a set of the cheapest flow meters. If the meters help you fined a sweet spot to run the boat at, and you save 10% on you fuel cost in the future, you won't break even until you've spent $15,000 on fuel. Do some quick math in your head on what you've spent on fuel in the last year and see how long it's going to take to run that up to 15k.

Just my opinion.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

I think you are correct mike. I was looking a few years ago and I think I may have made that conclusion. I guess I am always trying to improve the operation of my boat. There comes a time when you have to back off because the payback is not worth the investment. I think it was going to cost over 1K for the 2. Saving a few gallons of fuel might not be very economical.

Another thing to fix. Mine are coming of the boat.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information