+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need wood/structural work done on my 20' CC

Default Need wood/structural work done on my 20' CC

Can anyone suggest a good place to have wood/fiberglass repair work done in San Diego?

I just bought a 1973 Blackman 20' CC and I can already see that some of the repairs to the deck and bulkhead are going to be beyond my skill-set. I would like to have it done right, rather than my Dad and I digging into it and just making it "functional"...

Thanks in advance,

Brian Groff
    Last edited by brian_g; 02-21-2015 at 08:50 PM.

After having a person that was recommended by Steve come out to take a look at the boat I am realizing that there is a mountain of work that will be required to bring "The Little Provider" back to decent condition. The work is in far excess of what I'm willing to spend, so it looks like we will be doing it ourselves. Part of this is going to include pulling up the deck. Does anyone have a good basic reference guide for something like this? I have located 2 books: "Bennett fiberglass boat repair" and "The fiberglass boat repair manual" by Valore. Are either of these a good place to start?

Thanks,

Brian

If the boat is fishable, I'd fish it for a while and get a feel for the boat. Over the summer think about any changes/upgrades you would like to do, to make it more functional for you and tackle the deck over the winter.

When I bought my boat 20 years ago I thought I needed to tear up the deck and do some other work like that. Here I am today still fishing it and telling myself I ought to get to that some day.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Exactly what Mike said.

My Portagee senses are telling me this is going to be a hot year. If the boat floats, engine runs, and the bait tank works I say fish it. Fish it hard till the season is over in November then decide if you want to rip it apart and invest the time and money into it.
    Allan C.

P.E.T.A MEMBER
    Portagee Euthanizing Terrified Albacore

Hamachi Girl
    1981 23' Albacore Special

I can show you how it's done no big deal just messy your pretty close if you live in poway. I would do like the guys say buy some great foul weather gear ( it's wet real wet) fish it to death and then figure out if you want to fix it . You can always sell it to me . We used to code boat with Don and Shirley and I always lusted after that boat as a kid. The portage in me just loved the bright orange.
    If you have questions just call me 760-638-6853 mark

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information