+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anything good happening around the coast?

Default Anything good happening around the coast?

Going out again to the nine mile bank for mako shark. Ended up going last Friday and brought in about 84 pounds of shark steak. Not bad for the first trip. Trying to get out as much as I can. Looks like fuel at the Dana fuel dock is only about $4.10 or so. Not bad. I was going to have to put the boat back on the trailer and go to the diesel truck stop in Nasty city but it will save a lot of time just loading up at Dana. Anybody hear anything about tuna? Blue fin is starting to show 170 miles down sout. Keep in touch .
    Al

I think the truck stop was around $3.60 when I drove by last week. You'll kill two hours and burn $20 worth of fuel in the truck going down there. You're better off spending the time fishing than towing, for the few bucks you'll save getting fuel at the truck stop.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

You are correct mike. :I did not know it was that cheap.. I rather fuel up more regularly because I don't like to leave my tanks down very far due to chance of condensation getting into them. Dana drops the price to under $4.00 if yo buy over 200 gallons andthat would take my tanks to only a 1/3 left. Keep in touch. Hoping the tuna start to show up.

Right now it looks like there's a good wad of BFT @ 130 miles, with a few as close as 80. There's good paddy fishing for yellows at 75-80 as well so you could troll from there on down to the meat and have a chance at 40-60# BFT. Maybe they'll be on the 295-Double 220-213 in a couple of weeks. I didn't hear of alot of Commercial pressure on them so maybe they will slide right into the 390-371-230 this year and stick around awhile!

That would be nice. A few years ago we caught 3 BF just N of Pukey point on the N. Coronados. It was rough and we saw them jumping inand moving fast. Once in a life time.

My tank specs show I should be able to hold 300 gls. fuel and at 1.5 mpg, range should be a max 450. So using 375 max range, and some jugs of spare fuel or a bladder in my fish hold, I would not want to travel much more then 180 miles from San diego. I would then be Thinking about having to stop off for fuel in baja on the way back up. What places after Ensenada can I get fueled up? Running south at about 15 knots, I could make it south of SD about 140 miles, and it would take about 15 hours. To make it worth it I would stay in Baja about at least 3 plus days. I could get at least one full day of fishing, which would burn more fuel, and then scout some areas while working my way back north and stoping for fuel. did I miss anything. Forgot his name but some one with a 30 ft blackman went south for a few days last year and gave hi s report. sounded good and he knew all of the good fishing spots down that way. All Comments are appreciated, if you like. My first long run this year will probably be Clamente / Catalina.

I think it would be wise to get a few Clemente/Catalina trips under your belt with this boat just to run it through the paces and verify its reliability. Clemente can be fun provided you're not in the live range on that particular day, and help is always close by. At 180 miles its just you and the currents hopefully going uphill!

That sounds like good advice, going to Clemente/Catalina. Like you said plenty of help if needed. I would not go south that far without at least two other boats with experience under their belt. Ive gone about 50 miles out with other boats always close by, tuna searching. Further south is probably only sport boats which do not keep up with private boats status.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information