+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bluish white smoke. Oil?

Default Bluish white smoke. Oil?

Noticed my port engine smoking more then the Stb. Could it be rings or crankcase blowing past the turbo? 7000 plus hours on these bad boys. TAMD 41's. Anything to get me buy this summer . Not ready to spend more money and do major surgery on these old guys. Any experience on this subject. Dont think a cracked ring,m just worn out maybe. Maybe add some heavy syrup like STP. Just kidding. Thanks for any feed back. Al

Hey Al
    Smokeing diesel engines never a good thing especially at the begining of the season. You have a lot of hours on these motors so could be just about anything from valve stem seals to ???
    Their are no concrete findings hear with out a lot more info. [Disclaimer] I always try to start with simple to complex ideas when attacking any problem, especially mechanical issues.
    Diesel smoke;
    Blue smoke is usually caused by oil being burnt by oil running past valve guides, piston rings sticking, carbin build up, plugged piston cyl. cross hatching are just a few reasons.

White smoke is certanly caused by raw fuel coming out of exhaust, ck. injectors, injector timing or water entering in the combustion chamber, head casket, or a crack in the head or
    block.
    As I said earlier go, simple to complex.
    start by thinking about all the last repairs that were done to this engine. Ok any clues? Ck. coolant level, see if turbo spins freely, ck oil for contamination[white
    mayo lookin stuff on dip stick or on oil fill cap. or oil level to high and smelling of diesel fuel. [injectors ] Ok everthing cks. out good maybe a good time to put
    in fuel and oil additives before you start pulling da motor apart. Get oil additive that can clean any de-carbinize your rings and cyl. walls and a fuel treatment
    to clean da injectors. I'm thinking injector sticking open or valve stem seals are hard and oil is leaking past them.
    Next step if after a long cruise or two and the problem still exist would be to pull injectors, exam and test/rebuild if necessary and a compression test.
    Let's stop here and see what happens. Post back or send me your phone number and we can chat like normal people.
    Last edited by Royal Hook; 06-15-2013 at 06:23 AM.
    Royal Hook

Thanks for the info. The smoke seemded to subside after we started moving from the dock and the temp came up. Not sure if that is a clue to determing anything. I am a worry wart type of person, tackle problem b4 it gets worse. I am going to keep an eyeball peeled for any more clues. I put biobore in fuel and penncool in fresh water cooling system, that is about all. Do you recommend any special additives. I will ask John Benson if he has any recommendations. I'm just trying to enjoy the boat . I have spent the last 6 years trying to make it the best running boat with all of the fishing bells and whistles. If I dont get good use this summer, on the selling block. Just spent about $10,000 and the deck, engines gone throught, replacing all that hangs on the block. I think I will be ok. Coming in the MB channel, felt and heard a thump, thump thump. Ran over piece of plywood or something. I asked the crew, what was that? They said I dont know must have run over something and continued their conversation. Cant believe how some people are so oblivous when something happens on the boat. Next time that happens I'm going to start grabbing the life jackets and through them at the crew and start yelling "Abandon ship, we are sinking." :}. Maybe next time they wont be so non caring about the boat they are riding on. Thanks again for your iknfo. Al

I have had good luck with a fuel additive they now sell @ West Marine called Star Tron; 3 ozs per 100 gallons your first time and 1.5 ozs after that and I have had good luck with it. A tugboat operator told me about it years ago when a small company in Chula Vista designed and manufactured it; and West Marine bought them out for the exclusive distribution. The bad thing about Biobor is the harmful stuff it attacks in your fuel turns hard and sticks to the side of your fuel tank white Startron thins it out and makes it stick in the filter.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information