+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7/30 La Jolla and North

Default 7/30 La Jolla and North

The plan was to make some macs or small Bonita off OB then head out a few miles to find a mako. Today the bait was a lot harder to come by than it was last week. I could see the bait busting all around but couldn't get them to take the Lucky Joe. I finally made 1 lone Bonita and figured one is better than none.

I ran out 5 mile and started working my way up the beach looking for a finning mako. I didn't see any life until I was straight off La Jolla. Birds, bait and Mr. Mako all bunched up in a little area 3.5 west of La Jolla. I offer up my lone bait and he's on it like a bum on a bologna sandwich.

Part 2 of the day was to drift the beach for halibut while I wait for the late afternoon bite to turn on in the kelp. I found a small spot of bait off Black's beach that kicked out 1 halibut. Unfortunately I lost the fish during a moment of indecision, should net or gaff, to late.

I make a move up the beach and find a big spot of bait just north of the state beach. Down go the baits and up comes another keeper. This time I'm ready with the gaff. First swing clanks off the head and to my surprise she is still sitting there calm. I reload and put it to her and in she comes.

#36 at Dana Fuel Dock.

Part 3 of the day was suppose to be the evening bite off La Jolla but I blew that off to get home early and bag some fish.

Mike
    Last edited by NoSlack; 01-21-2019 at 08:29 PM.
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

OK--I'll bite----is that a tie wire leader??? Good Job!!

rt

Incredible. I'm not even going to fill in the inshore species on the contest now. The King lives. You are incredible Mike.
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Nice butt! You make the rest of us look like we’re in the fish welfare line.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

Default Nice Fish!

Now that's a No Slack Halibut! Good thinking wearing a Blackman T Shirt for the picture. Shirley asked however if you could ditch the jeans with the holes in them; it seems to bring down the class of true Blackman owners! Just to keep your total within reach we are thinking having a vote to change the halibut point value to 1/4 point per pound !

Great day on the water!

Don't be so quick to throw in the towel Glenn. When I came up with the format for the tournament, I figured it would take 500 point or more to win it. There's still a lot of points out in the pond, and the best part of the season is still ahead of us.

Get yourself over to the kelp one afternoon, catch a few calicos, make a few macs, swing outside a few mile and do a mako. Two hours of time, 10 gallons of fuel and 70 quick point on the board. Just keep chipping away at the list one species at a time.

Jeff, I'll stop by Goodwill this week and see about picking up some new duds. Us 23' owners can't swing a new pair of Dockers and a Polo shirt every time we go fishing like some of the high rollers on the board.

Mike

...we are thinking having a vote to change the halibut point value to 1/4 point per pound !
    LOL Ya, good thinking. Or start up a handicap (like golfers). Mike can only fish with trout flies and coffee grinders. LOL
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Default Handycapping?

Funny you should mention that. I was giving some thought to a handicap for next year. Something like "the previous years winner is handicapped by his margin of victory in the last tournament".

Another idea is to level the playing field by giving bonus point based on boat size. Ya know, help out the little underprivileged guys in the 20' and 23's. Ya I like that idea, can we get a vote.

Mike

Default Don't even ask!

Mike,

Just in case you were thinking of asking come October, LOBSTER STILL WON'T COUNT!

I think we should handicap this year's winner by limiting their legal area to fish to the San Diego City Lakes only.

Are those high rollers the ones with hot water showers, generators, or water makers? Should we include those with 2 helm stations? Curious minds want to know!
    Last edited by DOGHOUSE26; 07-31-2004 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelng

Ya know, help out the little underprivileged guys in the 20' and 23's. Ya I like that idea, can we get a vote.
    Hahahha... Mike goes out 9-15 miles and gets his toad Albies on a 23', while the 26'ers chase em 250 miles round trip every other weekend. You don't need no bonus points!

Boat out of the water for the next 2-3 weeks, then I'm ready to start taking every Fri/Mon off work for the rest of the season and go back to running hard. I'll take me a couple half days and try to find me a Mako. Thanks for the advise.
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information