+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7/30 La Jolla and North

Default Handicapping

Jeff,

So what’s wrong with a few extra items added to the boat? After two or three days on the boat in 110º weather you’ll be begging me to take a nice hot shower!

I don’t think you should cut the longusta out of the equation. I’m getting set up to work those bad boys this year. Got most of the gear ready to go. All I need to do is start collecting mackerel.

Mike,

Almost every fish I’ve caught this year has been outside of the tournament distance limits. What needs to be added is a minimum distance from the harbor entrance to go along with the maximum distance. I think you should have to go at least 20 mile from the end of the jetty before you can start fishing.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

A 20 mile minimum would really cramp my style. I only have one fish that would qualify under those rules. As far as maximum distance goes, I'll all for extending that out or doing away with it all together.

At the fall BBQ we can all get together and tune up the rules for next years tournament. Add some fish, drop some fish, adjust the points and talk about the boundaries. All good things to be thinking about before we get together.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

I think the contest is fun as it is. Those that fish a lot and those that really know how to fish for the variety are the ones with the points. Participation is kinda low as it is. More rules would probably deter even more. Small club of regulars as it is.

I think we are all just bantering for fun, not really serious about changing too much.

What is considered outside the max distance limit? I forget.
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Yale,

There's nothing wrong with adding a few things to any boat; I'm just pulling a little chain andI just wanted to know what you had to have in order to wear a polo shirt!

We don't need any more stinking rules; the format is fine ! You can't get points if you don't actively seek out a target and catch it. Take on the challenge and go fishing!

Jeff,

Actually you can get the polo shirt first. The boat can come later and then you start adding stuff to it. You can add stuff (including new polo shirts) in years one through 3 and then you need the dollars that you spent on new stuff to handle the increased repair bills on an older boat and more polo shirts. Rule 4c states that “…said polo shirts are not to be worn fishing however and if they are worn fishing then they cannot ever be put back in the closet and will forever be now regarded as fishing shirts.” This rule was enacted by and is rigorously enforced by my wife.

With regards to the tournament rules, I think Charlie should appoint a five person standing rules committee from the current list of point holders and that committee should meet on the third Saturday of every month to discuss the tournament rules and submit a quarterly report to Charlie for his consideration. Just a thought.

Mike,

How much line do you use on your hoops? Got some new hoops and they have 100’ of line which is a lot of string.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

I have mine set up with 30' of line. Any deeper than that and I get winded and want to go home. You pull 30' a hundred times in a night and you see what I mean.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Before Charlie can appoint a committee, we should consider the by-laws and determine our legal status (LLC, partnership, corporation etc...). We'll also need the legal seal, and an official minutes keeper. To keep all honest, the club shall install official BOCA security cameras on participating vessels. Skippers who place first, second, and third shall agree to submit urine samples and perform polygraph tests.

OK enough sillyness. The rules are fine now and this is a lot of fun. Professor does seem to log a lot of time on the water way south of the border. His sense of adventure and extra effort should be applauded. I'd vote for expanding the area next year but. not this year as I'm doing quite well (thanks in part to Mike).

My 2 cents.

Scott

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I suppose you do run out of guest hoop pullers pretty fast.

Scott,

Thanks for the consideration but I have enough trouble remembering to take an occasional picture and note the fish in my trip log much less record all the pertinent data for a contest entry. Besides I don’t want to run the risk of being put in charge of the urine collection committee
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information