+ Reply to Thread

Thread: intro, and outdrive Qs

Default intro, and outdrive Qs

Hello, I joined the BOC, to get info on Blackman boats.

My name is John, and my Kerry Blue Terrier, Mia, is my first mate.

I'm going to drive out to Slymar, by the Grapevine, from San Diego, today, after work to see the Albacore Special Project boat.

I'll give the man a deposit, if we can work out a payment deal.

I'm currently in the final phases of rebuilding/ restoring, my Dirty Girl, 28 Flybridge Skipjack. Easy to see on Bloody Decks.

Two questions.
    Volvo Penta Outdrive repairs, service, etc. I have two 280 single props, that need work, I don't feel I am qualified to do, such as shimming, etc.
    I have called Cogswell, and been given contradictory info, on the lower unit housings. I want to pull the gears from my (corroded) B V8 housing, and put them in my (new) D 4 cyl housing.
    Cogswell, says I can't, because they are different. Marine Parts Express, out in Maine, says they are the same, and i can do that.
    Outdrive exchange, is not very friendly, and it is hard to get the time of day from them.
    Another rebuilder in the LA area, is freaking ridiculous, as to pricing.

Do you have any good contacts?
    Last edited by Dirty Girl; 06-29-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Default Out drive repair

Hey John;
    A few things here.

1) I been thru many different out drives OMC, Alphas and now VP 280s w/ re-sealing and re- gearing including my volvo DP 280. My experience is that if your re-sealing just mark all your nut postion prior to disasemble and clean up, install seals, shims just like they came out and reset nuts down plus a little torque. With the re-gearing you really need to check end play and shim as necessary as your adding possible different dimension parts..

2) Regarding the parts exchange of gears, its very possible that both units use the same exact gears and MPE should know that information. I pretty much deal w/ those guys all the time when these situations arise. There GOOD. Gogswells, also have been very helpfull to me in the past. Your doing the right thing thou by getting down your rescources and info.
    PM me and we can talk more in detail.
    Mike
    Last edited by Royal Hook; 06-30-2013 at 06:36 AM.
    Royal Hook

Thanks, Mike.
    I'm officially a Blackman owner as of today. I drove up to the Grapevine, and purchased the 23 Albacore Special, Mechanic's special "Project". I got a long block 350 Chevy in the deal for a little extra, but I still need ALL the engine accessories, like flex plate, manifold, distributor, carb, alternator, etc. Maybe I can find a blown or seized, complete motor to strip.

Since she will be Dirty Girl's little sister, I believe the boat name will be "Dirty Habit",
    but not final, and open to suggestions. I am mainly a spearo, so kicked around names like Black Spear, Black Heart, Dragonheart

It needs , a trailer, and all three fuel tanks. Ja, the deck is not great, and has the rotten plywood decking. I can handle all that.

If any members have spare saddle or main tanks laying around, that they want to sell, as well as a trailer, please contact me. I'm in Lemon Grove 510-220-1356.

How do I become a member to the inner sanctum?
    Is there a paypal donation required?

Thanks to the members that connected me with John Benson, he will be wrenching on my two, 280 outdrives for the Skipjack 28 , "Dirty Girl"

If you re-do the deck, think about doing without the saddle tanks. I haven't used mine in 15 years. If you go with the 350, the 100 gallon main should be plenty of fuel.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Dirty girl, I live in Lemon Grove also. 6995 Mt Vernon. Come bye and maybe I can help you out. My boat is in the water and I have a 18 parker. My son and I will be out Friday on both boats. Probably coming back on Saturday sometime. Depends on how we do fishing. My name is Al.

Default Thanks for the excellent advice on the tanks.

Great advice, I will do away with saddles. This is a very helpful Owners club. Thanks for all that comes with that, too. I'm stoked.

I'll be out Friday, as well, spearfishing off my 17 ft RIB inflatable, out at the NWC.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information