+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuel supply issue on 41B

Default Fuel supply issue on 41B

Went out last wed. to get some of those fish on the outer banks before the weather cames in and shuts it down. Got out there but the weather came in early and I developed a engine power loss issue. Nothing more than 4-5 mph @ full throttle and under load. I was able to put a priming bulb on the fuel line and my buddy became a human fuel pump for the next two hours.
    Really seems to be a fuel volume problem.
    I'll throw this out to see if theirs any ideas out there besides slapping on a $170 pump.
    Also anyone out there using an electric fuel pump?

History- Just went thru entire fuel system in May. Polished fuel , all new filters, and thinking no worries in this area. Right
    Now- Fuel pump vac.@ 3" @ idle and 10" @ 3 K. Pressure- 3 psi. @ all rpm.
    all filters drained and spotless including the small one inside the pump.
    Last edited by Royal Hook; 09-30-2013 at 04:42 PM.
    Royal Hook

Pinched fuel line before the filter or a bad vent screen on the thru hull vent? Swapped out my vents to stainless with bronze screens, no more tank venting problems.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

I bet my vent lines are full of water at the elbow traps. That makes alot of sense since I took on way more water than normal on this trip.
    I vac. cked all fuel lines to the tank but stopped there on a brain freeze.
    Tks. For the tip.
    Royal Hook

I had almost same issue let me know if that works I took injection pump off and it's being looked at

My vent and hose were clear and un restricted. I believe I've checked out everthing up to the f/inj. pump. My next step will be to blow out the p/u tube and fuel lines from the tank to the pump. (RESTRICTION?)
    I think the f/inj. pump has a fuel pressure regulater but that won't help me as I believe I have a volume issue.
    Gave in and ordered a new fuel pump on thursday and if I don't figure this thing out by then I'll bolt it up and give it a a hard run.

Do you know if the 40 and 41 use the same mechanical pump? I have a spare for the 40 in the boat if you need it. It's only been installed once for trouble shooting. My problem was a wood DC plug in the tank and it would get up against the pick up tube once ever 4 or 5 years. The tank was 12 years old when I finally found the problem.

Mike

Thanks for the offer Mike, but that would be way to easy. The schematic shows that the 41s do use a different pump than the 40s.
    I'll should be getting one in the mail very soon and we'll know if the pumps the culpret or not.
    Royal Hook

Think I finally got this problem resolved.
    After going through the complete fuel system twice decided to go back over my check list again.
    Starting at the fuel tank i pulled off the inspection cover and I found a two inch piece of fuel line sitting right next to the fuel p/u tube.
    Aha haaa!
    This piece of hose I guess is suppose to be in the tank but as an extended flex hose connected to the end of the
    p/u tube.
    I'm figuring that it either fell off and started the orginal issue or it came off last Oct. when I pulled the p/u tube to inspect it.
    Took her out and ran her pretty hard for about 10 miles and no power loss issues except for at wot, where I have some air bubbles in my return line ( tighten clamps ?? ) and a little bubbling (escaping compression ??) around the top of one of my injectors.
    Thanks for the help.
    AND THEN........
    Last edited by Royal Hook; 10-03-2014 at 06:33 AM. Reason: my stupidity
    Royal Hook

I owned my boat for 5 years when I had a similar problem. Found a 4" wood DC plug in the tank. That would get up against the pickup every now and then.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information