+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Temp Guage Bracket

Default Temp Guage Bracket

I noticed my light was out on my temp guage when I was doing the SD boat parade so I tapped it a couple times and the light came on. Then a few minutes later it went out again so I tapped it a couple more times and it popped out of the back of the panel. Barely tapped it and it turns out the bracket was ready to break.

The gauge is Volvo branded, but it is made by VDO. Volvo just private labeled them.

Since I'm clueless on anything mechanical like this what did I do? I called Mike of course. Mike mentioned I should be able to switch the light out and I was baffled how until I saw the module with prongs sticking out a little after I unplugged it and popped it out and saw the light in there. That problem was extremely easy to fix. Went down to SD Marine exchange and they had the exact same lights in stock. Now I have some extras and it's a 30 second fix if it happens again.

Now to the bigger problem I have figured out, but don't know where to get the piece I need.

The gauges are mounted into the instrument panel from the back side of the instrument panel.
    There is a black circular plastic piece that goes into the front of the instrument panel where the gauge then from the back is pushed into and then twists and snaps into the plastic piece. This holds the gauge in place, but still needs to be secured from the back.
    Then there is a metal ring that fits around and into the circular black piece from the back. You actually have to put this on before you put the gauge in.
    Then there is the metal bracket with the screw holes that mounts in the back and it gets screwed into the metal ring.
    The bracket pulls against the plastic bracket and reinforces and holds the gauge.

My problem is the black circular plastic piece is broken and the gauge no longer snaps in so when I screw the bracket from the back to hold the gauge in place it pulls the gauge out.

I need to buy a new black circular plastic piece that is part of the instrument panel! I have no idea where to get one!

Anyone know how/where I can buy this black plastic piece? I should have taken a pic of my Instrument panel, but I'm hoping everyone knows what I mean.

Last edited by Libre; 01-08-2014 at 10:16 PM.
    26' Billfisher - Libre

Tiny, go to Volvo Penta online store and look up instruments for your engine. There will be a BOM with a part# for the black piece. I bought a piece a few years ago for my Skippy which has the same engine you have. I bought the part from Marine Parts Express. Let me know if you need help looking it up

Quote Originally Posted by Wa Mei View Post
    Tiny, go to Volvo Penta online store and look up instruments for your engine. There will be a BOM with a part# for the black piece. I bought a piece a few years ago for my Skippy which has the same engine you have. I bought the part from Marine Parts Express. Let me know if you need help looking it up
    Was that a type O (Tiny) or are you giving him a new nick name

Quote Originally Posted by NO BAD DAYS View Post
    Was that a type O (Tiny) or are you giving him a new nick name
    I have been called worse.
    26' Billfisher - Libre

Quote Originally Posted by Wa Mei View Post
    I found it on Marine Parts Express web site and Volvo Penta Store.

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/VP...rlier%20P0.pdf

It is number 11: Part Number: 858643

I found the part a lot easier on the Volvo Penta Store site, but Marine Parts Express has schematic images which was helpful.

I ordered it online, but called first to make sure it was the right part.
    Thanks for the tip!
    26' Billfisher - Libre

By the way the guys at Marine Parts Express were way more knowledgeable and helpful than the Volvo Penta Store. And I find it first on their site because they had the schematics.
    26' Billfisher - Libre

Quote Originally Posted by Libre View Post
    I have been called worse.
    Sorry man...it was a typo. Glad you found the part.

BTW, If I run the with the dash lights on, my temp gauge reads I higher temp. Its been like this for years so unfortunately i have to constantly with it on and off to see the temp.
    Hijole

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information