+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Great catch

Default Great catch

Approximately 5 mo.ago launched out of Shelter Island fished all morning trolling 4 lines feathers and rapalas and flylining sardines and mackeral at the rare kelp paddy out to 182 Spot without a bite.On the way in 2 mi. west of the upper 9 mile Bank we cane in to a large kelp paddy.We put out 21 lines baited with sardines.Within minutes one reel on a rod in a gunnel stated clicking.David my son set the drag and tried to take the rod out of holder.With a lot of difficulty he finally freed the rod and handed it to me.All the time the reel was Zinging.The fish leaped clear out of the water.a beautilful 6 foot blue and silver Marlin.I could barely hold the rod.Full drag he continued to run off line.The line went limp and I anguished that he had broke loose.Then I realized he was heading at us.He jumped at least 6 times and headed to the left and jumped one last time and the line went slack.We checked the line and saw where the line looked sawed off.We were using a Newell 440 with 40lb. test monofilament.What a great experience.

Excellent.
    Stories like that keep the thick winter blood flowing.
    Royal Hook

Royal Hook thanks for your reply.I'm wondering if our web site is operating in that your's was the only reply.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information