+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Baja Trip

Default Baja Trip

Recently returned from a six boat three week cruise, launching from Gonzaga Bay to Loreto and back. Did not use my boat but fished from a 28 Skipjack and a 28 Albin.
    I'll let some pictures tell the story!

Gonzaga Bay,
    LA Bay,,
    Mid Drift Islands
    Loreto
    I'd rather be lucky than good.
    Last edited by NoSlack; 01-12-2019 at 12:37 PM.
    Royal Hook

VERY NICE

Looks like you had an incredible trip Mike! How was it launching a direct drive boat (Albin right?) at Gonzaga? Pretty awesome that you had such a wide diversity of fish to pull on. What spots did you "overnight" along the way?

Congrats on a great Sea of Cortez adventure!

-BRian
    Brian Groff
    "Little Provider"
    1974 Blackman Fishmachine 20

Great report on an awesome trip; I hope to do that with my 26 some day! I'd love to catch Grouper like that and Pargo too. Where out of Loreto did you get the Wahoo? Were there a lot or just the one? Nice sized fish too!

Yea Jeff it was an awesome trip and one I too wanted to do for many years and glad the opportunity came up. Fishing had shut down in local waters around Loreto so we headed out to the 6k line, 40 miles or so out and a spot we found on a 1830' seamount NE of Isla. Carman following the same kind of shelf. Only one Wahoo, three Dorados and we had to work hard to keep Marlin off the hooks.
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGHOUSE26 View Post
    Great report on an awesome trip; I hope to do that with my 26 some day! I'd love to catch Grouper like that and Pargo too. Where out of Loreto did you get the Wahoo? Were there a lot or just the one? Nice sized fish too!
    Royal Hook

Hey Brian, your right the Albin is a direct drive boat as you may see she is sitting pretty high on the trailer. No problems launching any of the boats. Pick the right tide and it works.
    We anchored up Refugio, LABay, Don Juan Cove, Bahia San Francisquito, Santa Rosalia Marina, Caleta San Juanico, Puerto Escondido Marina, Isla Catalina, San jose
    ,Monserate,Santa Cruz, Partida, Salsipuedas. Did I leave any out... Estanque, Punta Chivato!
    Funstuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by brian_g View Post
    Looks like you had an incredible trip Mike! How was it launching a direct drive boat (Albin right?) at Gonzaga? Pretty awesome that you had such a wide diversity of fish to pull on. What spots did you "overnight" along the way?

Congrats on a great Sea of Cortez adventure!

-BRian
    Royal Hook

Mike,
    Did you guys go North on your way out of Gonzaga? There are a set of islands (I think Huerfanitos?) that are pretty cool to explore. There is also a pretty crazy sand bar that goes all the way from the mainland to the first island...

Again, Congrats on such an incredible trip. You should write it down in story form while everything is fresh in your memory (like Steinbecks "Log of the Sea of Cortez").

-Brian
    Brian Groff
    "Little Provider"
    1974 Blackman Fishmachine 20

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information