+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non start

Default Non start

My Volvo has ~500hrs on it.Its the 41P When trying to start it makes a high pitched screeching noise and fails to turn over.If it
    was an auto I would suspect the starter motor.Has anyone had a similar problem?

I'D start by pulling the starter to see if the gear on the end slides out to the end of the shafts. It's spring loaded and a screwdriver should be enough leverage to overcome the spring and slide the gear.

If you had a leak in the outdrive bellows, water can migrate to the flywheel area. The flywheel picks up the saltwater and flings it on the starter and the starter shafts rust to the point the gear won't slide out and engage the flywheel.
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

On a 41P the input shaft bearing are sealed, so for the water to get into the flywheel area, you most likely have had a bellows leak for a while.

If you have run on the starter gear, you have a leak. The starter can easily be fixed by disassembling and greasing.......I would also remove the bellows and inspect.

You might also need bearings and seals for the shaft and a u-joint....I needed a housing also......
    Knot Now
    Phil

Thanks for the info,had no idea of possible cause.Will check today.Mike I read your account of sea conditions on the 25th.We were out on Thurs. and had the same 3 to 4 ft. swells and choppy.Max. trolling speed 7kn. and no action.Found 1 2ft. diameter paddy!

Well you all had it right,The starter motor is rusted frozen and in spite of soaking in WD the gear won't move .Considering replacing it.The large bellows had a split Will order new bellows.The seal looks O.K. should it be replaced?

For water to get from the bellows to the started, a lot of stuff got soaked with saltwater. U-joints, 2 bearings and a seal in the bellhousing, flywheel and possibly the rear main seal on the engine. You need to pull the engine to do the bearing and seal on the stub shaft in the bellhousing. With the bellhousing off, take a few minutes and clean up the flywheel. You can't see the rear main seal unless you pull the flywheel. Not a big deal, all this can be done at home if you have a way to pull the engine.

U-joints are the hardest part. If you have 3 hands and a big vise, it goes a lot smoother.

I pulled the out-drive, was able to pull the large snap ring in the housing on the out-drive side of the shaft. There is one bearing IIRC, and a couple of plastic bushing...I replaced them all.

As far a pulling the engine and all.......When I had my housing replaced, John just pulled the engine forward.

I think you can get a support bar from harbor freight (I would use a couple of them). Not 100% sure they are wide enough, their 59"
    Knot Now
    Phil

That gear only moves one direction.
    Knot Now
    Phil

Phil

There must have been a badly needed re-deign of the stub shaft on the 41. I'm pretty sure the two bearings are different sizes, with the forward end being bigger on the 40. With that setup you have to pull the engine to get to it.

Mike
    Last edited by NoSlack; 09-29-2014 at 06:23 PM.

I believe David my son can do the job.It would be helpful if you could give him some guidance.You were here before to help with electrical.Whatever time you can make available David will coordinate with.If we can,t get help we're stuck with the Marine Center.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information