+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackman and the Fabulous Fish Machine

Default Blackman and the Fabulous Fish Machine

Everyone

I'm currently writing a feature about the Blackman Boats’ phenomena and their popularity.

To meet the expectations of a rapidly growing group of hardcore Southern California anglers seeking a trailer boat designed to their personal, exacting specifications, Don Blackman built and delivered a remarkable, well-designed boat which, along with his wife, Shirley, grew into a family business.

During his career he built 378 made-to-order boats from 20’ - 51', including 15 that were 29’, 12 boats from 30’-39’, one that was 48’ (their own boat, Retriever), one 51’ (Hana Paa) and two dive boats 63’ and 65’.

We would welcome any comments, thoughts or experiences any members of this forum might want to share about your Blackman/Fish Machine boats.

Gary Graham

http://www.garycgraham.com/
    800 919 2252 or Cellular (760) 522-3710

Gary

I'm the third owner of my boat, so I missed out on working closely will Don like a few of the guy around here that ordered new from the shop. Most of my memories come from chatting with Shirley in the office. Any time I could get her talking about halibut, I knew I was going to leave there with something more valuable than the box of parts I came in for.

Mike boat#146
    Last edited by NoSlack; 10-07-2014 at 09:52 PM.
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Hey Gary,
    What a great project your taken on with the San Diego boat building family of the Blackmans.
    Once I was told that my current Blackman was up for sale, I immediately drove down to have a look. She had been sitting for many many years and needed some TLC but I new I had to get her back to the sea.
    Having my boat now for the last seven yrs. I had only discussed boat history with Shirley and Steve Blackman and not with Don.
    Sorry that I don't have more for you.
    I too I'm the third owner of the Royal Hook DBB #116
    Thanks for your work.
    Last edited by Royal Hook; 10-15-2014 at 06:47 AM.
    Royal Hook

Don and Shirley showed me an old scrap book of black and white pictures. They had pictures of Dons dad or grandfather's turtle farms on the Baja coast (Pacific side). The turtle pens were built along miles of ocean front property.
    Hijole

Default Thanks for responding

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlack View Post
    Gary

I'm the third owner of my boat, so I missed out on working closely will Don like a few of the guy around here that ordered new from the shop. Most of my memories come from chatting with Shirley in the office. Any time I could get her talking about halibut, I knew I was going to leave there with something more valuable than the box of parts I came in for.

Mike boat#146
    Mike
    If you have a photo of your boat to share I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the tip I will check it out

Thanks
    any chance of a photo?

Gary

I've owned my boat for close to 20 years and I can't find any good photos that don't have my ugly mug holding up a fish in them.

I do have a couple item that were passed down from the original owner Dick Loub. I have a copy of the September 1983 issue of San Diego Fisherman, were the boat made the cover shot. The boat was only three months old at the time. In the magazine's marlin club section, there's some advice from "Ms Blackman" on down sizing the marlin gear to fit the ladys.

The second item is a post card of San Diego with the boat front and center(1985). The third photo is the only photo I've taken of the boat over the years and it was done with an early vintage digital camera. Most likely too grainy to use. If the vintage stuff interest you, I'm sure they can be digitized at a much higher resolution than I use on this thread. There are a few pictures of our boats at bocapix.com Most of us aren't big into photography as you will see.

Last edited by NoSlack; 10-20-2014 at 07:03 PM.

Janitor (Don't see a name). The cover is great. If you could send me the Ms Blackman marlin advice that would be great.
    Here is part one
    http://www.bdoutdoors.com/article/do...-fish-machine/

I took some photos of the marlin seminar article in the magazine and sent them to you.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information