+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Antenna install...need advise

Charlie, If you do decide to go down the path of side mounting a tall antenna in the future, here are the exact ordering details. The other link I posted is too vague.

http://www.stright-mackay.com/pages/...5&CategoryID=8

And you also have to get the standoff and bottom swivel mounts.

Not cheap, as I said. And not easy to get, as this is the only place I can find on the web for ordering. No local dealers that I could find.

The antenna works extremely well, but is also apparently a pain to get.
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Default Other things to check

Charlie,

Have you checked the quality of the bad radio's hot and ground wire and the quality of the solder joint of the connector ?

Since you plan to remove the existing antenna, you could clip the connector, pull the coax from the tube, install a new connector and test the radio. This will eliminate the other wires as a source of problems. If it works better you found the problem. If not, fire up the drill motor.

Bill

Default Antennae Mounting

Glenn,

What is the swivel base mounted to, is it on the gunnel ? I'd like to see a pic of the installation if you ever get the chance. Do you have to take it apart for trailering?

Mission accomplished. Thanks to the help of some J Dock skippers (thanks, Rob, Russ and Dan!) the job was completed in no time last night. Seems to work well, radio checks respond but need to get on the water to really check the range. Hope to give it a go Sunday.
    Charlie
    NOMAD

Glenn,

What is the swivel base mounted to, is it on the gunnel ? I'd like to see a pic of the installation if you ever get the chance. Do you have to take it apart for trailering?
    The swivel base is mounted to the side of the flybridge, starboard side, screws into the cabinet in the head area with nuts inside. It is a two piece antenna. I take the top half off and store it in the cuddy, then swivel the bottom stanchion forward and velcro it to the bow rail to tow. Got an email address? I will send you pictures. Can't post pics here and MOF gone.

Glenn
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Glenn,

The swivel base is mounted to the side of the flybridge, starboard side, screws into the cabinet in the head area with nuts inside. It is a two piece antenna. I take the top half off and store it in the cuddy, then swivel the bottom stanchion forward and velcro it to the bow rail to tow. You can see it in my avatar.

Got an email address? I will send you pictures. Can't post pics here and MOF gone.

Glenn
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Send me the pictures and I'll post them up.
    Charlie
    NOMAD

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information