+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deck Replacement

Default Deck Replacement

With our deck being uncomfortably soft in many areas, and keeping in mind all of the termite damage I found when replacing the seat and the engine cover I am now proceeding with removing the deck (and possibly stringers/bulkheads).

I will post photos as progress moves forward :-)

I'm hoping to be done in a couple months. Trying to be more realistic about this timeline as compared to my previous projects on this boat...

-Brian
    Brian Groff
    "Little Provider"
    1974 Blackman Fishmachine 20

If you haven't started, put it off until the fall. You can easily double at time line and miss out on what could be a epic fishing season.

I've been putting mine off to the fall for the past 15 years. I'm sure I'll push it off again this fall.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Fiberglass is already removed... Getting at the screws now.
    Brian Groff
    "Little Provider"

Brian, i did the deck on my Outerbanks, found out i had a bad fuel tank, check it close, good time to change it,,also make sure to glass both sides of the plywood,,i used 1708 cloth, it has three layers of glass, saves a lot of time,,good luck, Kelly

Will do Kelly,
    Thanks for the tip. The deck has come up remarkably easy. Unfortunately, a lot of that was due to the incredible amount of rot and termite damage. So now I am looking at a deck-less boat and making decisions on pieces of support structure that needs replacing. It feels good to have made the jump into doing something as "large scale" as this. I had avoided it since we bought the Little Provider. So here we go....
    Brian Groff
    "Little Provider"

I am wrapping up foam removal (which was soaked with water), and beginning the process of pulling all of the "sub deck". The deck is supported by a number of 1.5" X 1.5" strips of wood that follow the stringers and bulkhead. Those are coming out and I will eventually remove the bulkheads as they are rotten in a few places where they came in contact with the deck support wood.

All in all, it's been a great family project! I will post some photos when I have a chance.

-Brian
    Brian Groff
    "Little Provider"

Hi Brian

Can we get an update? I have thought about this a few times myself but have been lucky enough to be able to put it off.
    Pics would be a bonus.

What year is your boat?
    Last edited by Old Blue; 10-17-2015 at 12:49 PM. Reason: had another Question
    Brian on Old Blue, out

you may want to try the honeycomb stuff...light and will not rot.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
    Hi Brian

Can we get an update? I have thought about this a few times myself but have been lucky enough to be able to put it off.
    Pics would be a bonus.

What year is your boat?
    The boat was built in 74'. The hull is in great shape. There was just a ton of water and termite damage to the deck/seat/engine cover/bow hatch area. When my wife and I first bought it, our plan was to do a little superficial stuff to it and then just enjoy it. There are some threads of those projects on this site. One thing led to another, and we just began digging into the worn out stuff to a point that we ended up with the hull and stringers. It has been so much fun moving along in this project with my wife, son, mom, dad, and a new friend that we have made that used to build boats at Blackman. My Mom unexpectedly passed away 5 months ago and this boat was really a fun focus of our spending time together, so bringing it back has turned into something more for me now. I have tone of photos documenting all the different stages of restoration. I will upload them soon.

Thanks for the interest :-)
    Brian
    Brian Groff
    "Little Provider"

Quote Originally Posted by Wa Mei View Post
    you may want to try the honeycomb stuff...light and will not rot.
    Thanks for the info Wa Mei.
    We ended up going with marine ply, glassing the deck side and soaking the underside with resin/gelcoat.

Thanks again,
    Brian
    Brian Groff
    "Little Provider"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information