+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 8/13 The 9 to the 182

Default 8/13 The 9 to the 182

Rich and I met up at 6am at the ramp in Mission Bay. Grabbed a 1/2 scoop of quality deens and made our way out to the PB pier to look for some macs. Macs were tough to come by today so we moved over to the kelp and pick away at the less desirable Spanish macs. We made 8 or 10 pieces to go with our half scoop then pointed the bow for the "9".

The top of the 9 is still looking good with birds and whales everywhere. Shortly after crossing the 9 we spot a paddy and the game is on. Rich draws first blood with a nice female Dorado. A few break offs, a few swing and a miss and I finally get one in the boat. Rich and I farm a few more then I get picked up buy a nice bull. After a couple good runs and 6 or 8 jumps we convince this one to get in the box. We farm a few more before heading on our way to the 182.

Lots of talk from the guys out that way about more Dorado and some big yellow under most of the kelps. We stop on 3 or 4 more kelp on the way out for a few more bumps but no more fish.

Made it a short day so I could be home by 3 to take care of some family stuff.

Mike

Last edited by NoSlack; 01-19-2019 at 07:04 PM.
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Nice Bull!
    Last time the Dorado were this close was in 1997-1998. It looks like it is the beggining of an El Nino season.

Brian

Default Thanks for the scout tips

We started close to where you suggested, I think we saw you coming in north of us so we bent it up north and saw the big paddy you told us about however a boat was on it. No big deal as about 300 yards north of the paddy a 20# bull climbs on a purple & black 3.5 Zuker - what a fire drill ! Dropped the mackeral back for another marlin (we thought ) and the dodo came right up to the boat and then went berserk! Ended up going inside the 182 2 miles and found a kelp line where we took 6 yellows; a 21, 20, and 4 others 8-10.Ran over a marlin tailer @ 630PM 12.5 nm 232 degrees MB. Baited a large mako same area but no love. Tried to make macks in the dark over the sunken tower however only caught 2 jumbos. I think the 178-182-302 - lower 9 mile bank is the best area right now, I'll be on it Sunday.

Mike, Thanks again for the dope. Hope your son came out OK and teach him to water ski behind a 23, more quality time together!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information