+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bait tank on swim step of Billfisher

Default bait tank on swim step of Billfisher

I'm am going to mount a second bait tank on my swim step for multi day trips offshore. How much weight do you think I can put there? I'm thinking of either a 32 or 50 gallon tank in the center of the swim step. Do any of you have experience putting 400 lbs. on the swim step? I'm worried about the small bracket screws pulling out.

I don't think I would put a 50 on my swim step. I sure the main tank would hold 2, maybe 3 scoops.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

I get 2 scoops in the main tank, but I run out after a day and a half. I think I'll just put the extra tank on the deck instead.

Thanks,
    Terry

If you don't do too many multi day trips then maybe a good option would be to set it up as a temporary type of installation that you only put in for the longer trips. That way you can conserve your deck space except for when you really need it.

Sounds like an interesting challenge. Let us know what you decide and how happy you are with it.

Old Blue
    Brian on Old Blue, out

Just a thought here.
    Old Blue brought up temporary tank and I thought of those bait bags that hang over the transome.

West Marine has the Aquaworlds 28 gal.on sale now for $120. Easy to install and remove and they stow away nicely. Throw a net over the top and two of these bad boys would give ya 56 gals of temporary bait holding capacity for the first day than break em down and stow away.
    Royal Hook

That sounds better than setting up an on deck or swim step tank. Especially if it does what you need it to do.

When you say multi day, how many days would that typically be?

Old Blue
    Brian on Old Blue, out

I have a bait bag on my transom which we primarily use for drop back mackerel; but during tuna season before the marlin show up I'll use it when I have 4 or more anglers. It will hold 1/2-1 scoops comfortably combined with the 1 1/2-2 scoops my standard Blackman tank holds and I'm set. With 2 of these, one on each side, you would have plenty of capacity. There's a Blackman on my dock that has the 2 bags without the Main Deck Tank and he seems happy with it.

I had a hard 20 gallon fiberglass tank I set on my swimstep and tied it down however in a large following sea one time coming home it came unbuttoned and I never saw it again.

Very good suggestions. Thanks a lot.

I am typically out 3 days on the long trips and we always run out of bait. Sometimes I can make more but not always.

What size pump do you use for the bait bag?

Went with a Kodiak 32 gallon and BaitSentry 800 gph pump. I mounted it on the swim step and I stayed put on a 3 day to San Clemente and Santa Catalina Islands. Took 3 scoops of sardines and mackerel and still had about a dozen makerel alive when I pulled into Oceanside this afternoon.

Thanks for the responses. Problem solved. I would post some pictures of the install, but I can figure out how to do it on this website.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information