+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Missing Hull Number

Default Missing Hull Number

We are looking at a 26-foot Blackman. Down to the final things and we go to verify the hull number and it is not located on the starboard side of the stern. Any ideas guys of where else it might be. I understand that it is federal law that it be situated in this location. Help please we really like this boat.

That's odd, what's the name of the boat?
    Erik
    1988 26 Billfisher
    "NO Bad Days"

The name of the boat is Dos Hermanos. It has been in Mexico for years.

If the hull number is not on the starboard upper stern then it has either been removed or damaged and gel coated over. i confirmed with the builder this morning. This is the only place the law allowed it and it is a non negotiable. I would be careful as this seems unusual. To register a newly built boat the VIN verifier sees these numbers and fills out a form that is used for documenting the boat or DMV registration. Does the owner have any original documents etc. what is the year, beware you could be looking at a stolen or previously damaged boat.

Yes, this is our concern. The seller says that he had the boat built to his specs and that he has all the proper paperwork. However, without the hull number in the proper location papers mean nothing. The other confusion is that it is a 26 Blackman and he says that it is a '75. I was under the impression that the 26 started in the early to mid 80s. Never seen one like it.

Yeah something is fishy. my first job at blackman boats sanding the 26 plug in 1980, they didn't build them until 82-83 i believe. in 75 they hadn't even built the 23 footer yet, so id be really careful .this could either a stolen boat or not a blackman or who knows, heck my 74 20' blackman had a hull number on the starboard upper transom, something is wrong w that boat/deal

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information