+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Re power

Default Re power

Hi Guys
    I've been the proud owner of a 20 Blackman for 15 years. Original engine (AQ145B) has over 2200 hrs on it. It's time to re power. I've been told there's not a gas engine that would fit and still have the necessary performance specs out there, so I'm looking at diesel or reconfiguring to accommodate an outboard.
    Just wondering if there's anybody out there who has had any success at re powering this boat with today's options.

Thanks
    John

John,
    I have a 20' Blackman as well. Before I purchased the boat, the previous owner re-powered with a Volvo Penta 4.3L GS. It is a tight fit in the engine compartment and it adds considerable weight to the stern, but the performance is impressive. These motors are available still.

Brian
    Brian Groff
    "Little Provider"
    1974 Blackman Fishmachine 20

Thanks for the info Brian. Even though I'm hoping to lessen weight, it's good to know that engine will work. Was the engine box modified in any way?

John

John,
    The engine box was not modified to accept the larger motor. The dimensions of the 4.3L (6-cyl) are greater than the original 4-cyl to the point that it is difficult to access/R&R things like the impeller, manifolds, risers, etc... Our boat was re-built from the hull up after we purchased her and I can say that in retrospect we should have made the deck hatch a few inches larger port to starboard to make things more comfortable. If you would like to check out the fit in person, you are more than welcome to come by and take a look.

Brian
    Brian Groff
    "Little Provider"

John,
    There is another member on this site that is selling an almost new 4-cyl that he took out of his 20.

http://www.bocaboard.com/forum/showt...nd-SX-outdrive
    Brian Groff
    "Little Provider"

Thanks Brian. That offer and info is very helpful.
    John

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information