+ Reply to Thread

Thread: D4 in a 23?

Default D4 in a 23?

looking at a 23 hull and found a nice D4,,weighs 1400lbs,, thats not counting the outdrive,,to heavy for the 23?

As soon as the used 40 and 41 market dries up, the D4 will be the only option if you want to stay with Volvo.

1400lbs of egine could put your deck drains under water with the boat sitting still. I think my ADAD40 is a 1000lbs plus DP drive.

Next time I'm in the water, I'll check the water line in relationship to the deck drains. If they are 1 1/2 to 2" above the water, the extra weight shouldn't be a problem.

The extra horse power will more than compensate for the weight when you are up on plain.
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

thanks!

At the dock with no one in the boat and the bait tank empty, I have an inch and a half to the water line from the deck drains. With two guys in the same corner, water will seep in through the scuppers. I use the rubber flapper type of scupper.

Mike

thanks again,,sounds like it might be a little much for the 23,,may go with another ob conversion,,,

I dug out my book for the AQAD40a and it said the engine and single prop drive weighs #1110. Add another 30 pound for the DP upgrade. D4 225 with DPH drive is 1420 pounds. Your looking at a 250 pound addition with the bigger engine. If you're doing a major rebuild on the boat, you could shave most of that extra 250 off by getting rid of some wood and going composite on the deck and engine box.

I think it's doable with some better scuppers that seal with the boat sitting still.

Mike

thank you for taking the time to look that up,,still thinking of another outboard conversion,,may try a notched transom this time and an open pilot house,,

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information