+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2019 Rockfish depth 450'?

Default 2019 Rockfish depth 450'?

If you go to the DFG site and select the link for the Fishing/Ocean/Regulations/Fishing-Map/Southern#rockfish you will see this

The recreational fishery for rockfish is open year-round to divers and shore-based anglers.The fishery is closed to boat-based anglers from January 1, 2019 through February 28, 2019. These species may only be taken or possessed in waters less than 450 feet (75 fathoms) deep. The daily bag and possession limit is 10 fish in combination of all species within the RCG Complex (includes all species of Rockfish, Cabezon and Greenlings) per person, with a sub-limit on black rockfish (3 per person) and canary rockfish (2 per person), also included in the 10 fish RCG Complex aggregate limit. Yelloweye rockfish, link opens in new window,bronzespotted rockfish, and cowcod may not be retained (bag limit: zero). When filleting fish on a vessel, the fillet must have the entire skin attached.

Rockfish are part of a group of fish known as groundfish, which includes over 90 species that live on or near the bottom of the ocean (with a few exceptions). View a summary of groundfish regulations.

That sure looks like we can fish anywhere less than 450'. Where it all goes south is in the last sentence of that brief summery of the regulations. (View a summary of groundfish regulations.) if you click on that link wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Ocean/Regulations/Groundfish-Summary#south it takes you to the full DFG regs where you will see the words "75 fathom depth contour (450 feet), defined in Federal regulations (50 CFR Part 660, Subpart C)"

With a little digging I found the Lat/Lon numbers for our area that the Feds designated to make up the 75fm curve. These numbers plot a line running up the coast just outside the 60fm curve we were limited to for years. It basically gave us another 1/4 mile of mud to fish as the water drop from 60 to 100 fathoms along our coast. The 9 mile bank and 43 are way outside the 75fm line, but all have waters less than 475 feet.

The next section in the regs talks about the Cowcod Conservation Areas

Ocean waters between 34°27' N. latitude (Point Conception) and the U.S.-Mexico Border:
    Area 1 is located south of the northern Channel Islands. Area 2 is located west of San Diego.

Take is prohibited seaward of the 40 fathom depth contour (240 feet), as defined in Federal regulations (50 CFR Part 660, Subpart C) That give you the impression you could fish 240' and less for rockfish at the 43 except for the statement (50 CFR Part 660, Subpart C). Those regulations only give coordinates to plot lines up the coast and around islands. I couldn't fine any numbers that included the 43 as an open area.

As with all regulations, this one was written with just enough confusing statements that would make you think area are good to fish in, but may be out of bounds.

I plan on stopping by the local DFG office before March 1 to see what their take is in the new regs.

50 CFR Part 660, Subpart C ftp://ftp.pcouncil.org/pub/Groundfish_Regulations/2010%20Pink%20Pages_Nov2010_Reorg.pdf Pages 113-115 is were I found the 75fm numbers. The last 12 on page 115 plot the line from the border to the 33 line.

Good luck and lawyer up if you're going to cod fish

Mike
    Last edited by NoSlack; 02-09-2019 at 02:52 PM.
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

The regs confused me at first becasue i wasn’t reading the Southern Management Area.
    Anyway, we fished the 9 mile bank area last week for limits of reds for 3 of us. Only one Boccaccio.
    The Mexican Visa was about $31.
    Hijole

I think the bottom of the 9 will still be my go to area. It would be nice if the rest of the bank opens up, but I don’t think that’s what the new regulations say. Hopefully I can get some clarification at the DFG office

Feb 20
    I ran into a DFG warden at the bay today. He confirmed that all water outside of the 75 fathom curve along the beach will be off limits to rockcod fishing this year. After discussing the 75 fathom curve, I asked what he thought the Regs meant when they said you could fish the Cowcod closure areas to a depth of 240' (40 fathoms). He was a little puzzeled on that as we both knew the 43 is way outside the 75 fathom curve we just discussed. Down here in San Diego we only think about the 43 when we talk Cowcod area.

My assessment of the new rule for the San Diego area is we got nothing but a half mile of mud out of the change.
    Last edited by NoSlack; 02-20-2019 at 02:49 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information