+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting issue?

Default Starting issue?

When attempting to start this Volvo Penta diesel I turn the key and nothing happens, The volt meter needle drops from 13 volts to zero then returns to 13 when the key is released, I did a load test on the batteries and they checked out as good, Where might start to look here? ignition switch, starter , Ground?

Yes first check the ground on both ends, block & battery, make sure they are clean and tight. Then check the positive connection on the starter and the batteries, clean and tight. And then check the positive connections on the back of your battery switch, clean and tight as well. After 29 years, that was my last solution to my starting problem. Good Luck

A few years back I was having problems starting. I had 12+ at the batteries and less than 10 volts to the starter. I ended up replacing the battery cables to solve my problem. I up sized the cables from 2/0 to 4/0 when I pulled the new wires.

If you have 2 multi meters, put one on the batteries, one on the starter to see if you are losing voltage. If you done get voltage to the starter, put on meter at the disconnect switch to see if that is your problem.
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Thanks I will be getting out the multi meter.

I made myself a real long set of leads so I could see the meter from the helm, no matter where I had it hooked up.
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

I had the same problem a few years back and it was loose connections to the battery switch. My problem just kept increasing in frequency until it finally wouldn't start any more and I also started seeing my sounder having some issues.

My two cents says if its intermittent then check those battery switch connections behind the circuit breaker panel.

Old Blue
    Brian on Old Blue, out

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information