+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Still leaking - Unbelievable

Default Still leaking - Unbelievable

Just spent almost 4 weeks under the boat, as I wrote before. One of the many things I was working on, was eliminating a small leak while she sits in the slip. Fiberglassed 7 feet of keel where there were some minor scuffs and dings. Completely fiberglassed the fish hold drain closed (newer Blackman's don't even have a drain). Even took out the old Sumlog through hull paddle-wheel and glassed that hole closed. D*mn thing still leaks.

All that is left is the transducer and the transom shield. Any ideas of how to re-check the transom shield or whatever could be leaking in that area? Fixing this is becoming an obsession. It's a fiberglass boat. It should be 100% dry, right?
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

How bad is he leak this time??? I used a spray bottle with tempra paint to locate s very slow weep spot on another boat. Dry it out, spritz, and watch (over time) where the paint washes away. Could be five minutes--could be 5 hours. Good Luck....rt

The leak never was bad, it's just that it hasn't been greatly reduced by all the work over the last few weeks. What is tempra paint?
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Default Still leaks

I'm not sure if your bilge drain is the same as on my 23 Billfisher or not. However, I had a leak that was hard to find and I finally located it around the brass bilge drain plug. While the plug it self was not leaking, I found that the female brass drain plate where the plug screws into was a little loose and subsequently leaking. I removed the plate and filled the screw holes with plastic wire tie pieces for tighter fastening and re-caulked. My problem was solved.

For what ever it's worth,

Larry (Secret Spot)

Larry, that is one thing I had not considered. You have given me new optimism in that at least there could be something else contributing. I will be checking that out soon.
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Tempra paint, aka, poster paint---ask any third grade teacher. The water leak will wash away the paint film. But the suspect area has to be dry....rt

Default Found the leak!!!

Found the leak!!!

Seems the trim cylinders are connected to the transom shield via a pin/o-ring that goes through the transom shield from inside the boat. Then a 10mm bolt secures the pin. One side is sending a tiny stream of water into the bilge right by one of these bolts. Put some epoxy gunk over it for now, thinking I had some corrosion problem near a bolt that goes through the transom. But I got home, pulled out my manuals, and found out there is actually an o-ring on the pin that must be bad, and the bolt next to it just holds the pin in place. Should be easy enough to replace the pin and o-ring next time she is out of the water.

Only took 9 months to find.
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information