+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Highliner 2005 recommendations

Default Highliner 2005 recommendations

Looking for any revisions to the 2005 Highliner rules. Is there anything you guys would like to see different? species added? or points changed? Post it here!
    Charlie
    NOMAD

Default Got one

Handicap Mike

Make him fish with one hand tied behind his back

I've been giving the points values some thought. When the Bigeye showed up I thought is was a shame that a 45-pound Bigeye was worth less than a 25 pound Albacore. If we bump the Bigeye up to 2 point a pound, a 80-pound Bigeye is worth more than a Marlin. Is that right?

On the other end of the score card are fish like the calicos. As a group we caught some monster calicos and the best one was only worth 40 points. Lingcod was another fish that toped out at 27 points this year.

With that being said, if we leave all the points alone, we have a benchmark to shoot for every year. Whether you're trying to put up a personal best or take over as the all time top scorer, the scale is the same from year to year.

Not much help, but something to think about.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

I learned in the beginning, Sand Bass and Sheephead were not on the list, after I caught some monsters. Just a thought, although I feel priviledged to have even gotten in the top 5 against all you experts.
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Charlie,

I think the program including points was good. I agree with your idea about benchmarks. Keep the points the same. This year was different from others with respect to Bigeye. Typically the fish I've seen here in previous years were probably an average of 90-100 lbs so it is appropriate to keep them at 1 point per lb. I like Glenn's idea about adding sand bass too.

My 2 cents,

Scott

I wouldn't expect to make changes every year; but since this was our inaugural year I thought I should ask if we should make some tweaks. I'll collect all recommendations and we'll vote at the BBQ
    Charlie
    NOMAD

I think the point values were fine, and I actually thought the bass catagory included Calico, Sand, and Spotted Bay Bass. I think you could put the Sheepshead in the rockfish catagory if you wanted.

My only complaint is the picture requirement, digital or conventional. I believe if you can produce a certified weight slip stating the fish species and angler, you shouldn't have to produce a picture and it is much more accurate than weighing a fish on a $20 electronic scale from a floating boat. A valid requirement for released fish however.

We will play a little more seriously next season!

Good point Jeff. I think the weigh slip suggestion is a good one!

PS: Take my mackerel, I'll be on the road for the next month or so so doubtfull I'll get much fishing time in
    Charlie
    NOMAD

Take your mackeral? I would try, but representives of the Geneva Convention have roped off the area; seems as though your prisoners were malnourished and we have photos of you pointing your finger like a gun at a naked mackeral lying on the dock with a cigarette in your mouth similar to the infamous Iraqui prison pics; I heard the marina Commandant was looking for you to be the scapegoat ! Thanks for the offer, the big bull already got mine 2 weeks ago!

Not so! I retained a reliable fish feeder (thanks Ann!) while traveling last week and fed them myself since! Even stopped by to say good bye yesterday and fed them again. I think it may be that because of the diet they are on they look a bit scrawny, but more than likely its because all the big ones escaped!
    Charlie
    NOMAD

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information