+ Reply to Thread

Thread: They're still there

Default They're still there

After hearing about the humboldts for the last week and a half I had to give it a try. Thanks Doghouse and No Slack for some great motivation!

Took buddy Tim and my son Nathan out tonight for a squirtfest on the ledge. Tooks Mikes advice and metered around for a while but I'm not to sure that my meter would show them in 650 feet. Finally thougt we saw something near the bottom and dropped a daisy chain of the regular size pink jigs with a weight and a large salas type chunk of iron, both with small cyalume lights zip tied to them. Jig, jig jig - nothing. Decided to turn on the deck light while winding them up so we could see to keep our lines even on the reels. As Tim is almost to the top he gets hit, and that started it. As Mike said, done by 7:00.

Our catch was approx 12 - 20 pounds each. Nathan had a great time driving the boat in while Tim and I headed, gutted and finned the catch. Sure was neat to see these big squirts!

Brian on Old Blue... out.

Way to go Brian. I bet your son had a blast with the squid.

Now that you got the cobwebs off the trailer tires, I'm looking forward to a few more reports from your side of town.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

this was a adventure that i could not pass up. we left MB at 6:30 taking Mike's advice heading 260 6 miles out 600 feet of water. Lines are in at 7:00. two poles to the bottom and nadda. third pole in 300 ft 1 on. start bringing the jigs up off the bottom 2 on, 3 on they are all over the place out there. kept 10 released several more. we were back on the trailer at 8:45. Thanks Doghouse and No Slack for the tip
    Just 4 Fun

Default Little Squid Jigs

Were you able to get any humbolts aboard with the regular size squid jigs? I hooked a bunch but the small barbs didn't get enough bite and they would tear off pieces of tenticles; one would fall off and another would grab it, I reeled for a solid ten minutes without gaining ground because the new squids would pull out what I got back before tearing off. I seriously considered cutting the line to put a bigger jig on!

Congratulations on a great trip, it's a nice change of pace.

we were mostly using the small\regular size jigs that we modified by connecting two together with a circle ring (key ring) and adding a 8\0 treble hook between the two and one on the bottom. with a 2ft leader to a 12oz weight and a 60lb leader off the top 3ft to 40lb. I have a pic of the setup but need to figure out how to post it. I will email it if it get addresses.
    Just 4 Fun

Jeff, we had the same problem with the small jigs, they just dont get a big enough bite to pull one in. The larger trebles on the big salas type jigs did the trick though. It sounds like the rig that Kingfish is talking about would do fine. I think anything with large hooks would do well. Yes it was a nice change of pace from that last trip!

Just 4 Fun

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information