+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Antenna Ground

Default Antenna Ground

What is this wire(s) that run from the VHF antenna base to the engine block. 10 ga multi-strand house wire (yellow to red to yellow again with the plenty of crimps and wire nuts). OK, a ground wire but does it make a difference in radio performance or what?

And, can an RF ground from the radar be run to a negative battery terminal or does the RF ground have to run directly to the engine block? The block looks like a porcupine with five ground wires bolted here and there.

Thumbs up on this new Shumacher battery charger.......RT

I've never heard of grounding the base of the antenna. The element is isolated from the base so I can't see the need for the ground.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Snip, snip another wire bites the dust. I never heard of trailer wires used for nav lights or speaker wire used for deck lights but this is what I got. We should compare notes on wiring horror stories.

Had to resort to West Marine for replacement boat wire---no bargain there. www.bestboatwire.com has great prices on wire, busses, etc. if you are doing a major rework. But is the material Chinese countfeits??

RT

I'm in good shape on wiring. I'm an electrician by trade, and the previous owner was an electrical contractor. If you want to talk plumbing, that was a mess when I bought the boat.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information