+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duoprop shaft seal(s)

Default Duoprop shaft seal(s)

Well damn. Pulled the boat out of the water yesterday, power washed the bottom, and pulled the props off to regrease and install new zinc. Found fishing line melted into the small shaft seal, even with using line cutters. But my dilemna is, I pulled out what looks like part of the seal all wrapped up in fishing line, but behind it looks like a perfectly good seal still in place. Is the seal protected with an outer plastic ring subseal or something that I pulled out? Drained the oil, and I don't think I see any water.

Parts diagrams aren't clear, but they do say seal 'kit', implying more then one part. Is pulling that seal easy enough with a hook puller and pressing in a new one with a correct size piece of PVC or something? Or should I take it in to Blackman's?

Last question/comment. I put a lot of time into primer and outdrive paint (also tabs) last fall. Used Alumaspray. Stuff sucks. Didn't deter growth worth a sheeeet. How did that Trinidad spray hold up on Nomad? Any recommended brands that work?
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Part 38 is the seal. It looks like 2 seals to me.

If Phill ever comes off the water and checks the board, he'll walk ya through what needs to be done.

Mike

NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

I used Trinidad SR on the bottom which is great stuff. Just did the Riv with 2 coats plus a third on high wear areas.

On the Blackman outdrive I used Interlux Primocon as a primer and Interlux Trilux paint. It was pretty good at keeping the growth off but wore off quickly (one season) from the cleaning service.
    Charlie
    NOMAD

Part 38 is the seal. It looks like 2 seals to me.
    I saw that and wondered the same.

Thanks for the brand on the outdrive paint Charlie.
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Default OK, I am off the water

Glen,
    Don't try to pry the seal out!!!!!!
    Give me a call. I have all the tools necessary to pull the housing and install the seals.
    You will also need the two large O-rings.
    Give me a call for more info.......
    619 276-5478

It only takes a few minutes (half hour) to replace the seals
    It will take longer to go to the boat to pick-up the tools....

Phil
    Last edited by Knot Now; 04-10-2005 at 10:53 PM.

Phil, I need to figure out what replacement seals to order. Do I understand correctly, the right way to do this is to take the lower shafts/gears out of the outdrive to replace the seals? Are the seals 2 parts, a seal and some outer ring? What o-rings?

I will call you, but thought it might be helpful for all to keep the information flowing in the thread.
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Default H&H marine

Glen,
    You need #38 and 2 # 29s
    H&H will have them in stock.
    Phil

Ok, I see what o-rings you are talking about now. In order to reseal the outer shaft bearing log. Nice to hear H&H might have them.

So when is a good time to inconvenience you and borrow some tools? Want to come over and demonstrate? I make Mike do that a couple times a year.. LOL
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Default tools

Glen,
    H&H Marine will have them.
    I have a very open working schedule until MAY. This week
    I plan on going to the MBMC seminar on Friday night, Fishing the MBMC tournament on Saturday and Sunday 6 pm. Other than that, any night or afternoon. I would be glad to supervise or you can borrow the tools. You will also need new oil. How about a Halibut hole for rent on the tools.
    Phil
    Maybe there are others who would like to see how to change these seals?

Phil, thanks for all the info. Name the day that works for you. I'm in Mira Mesa. Lot of trouble and I hate making people go out of their way, so you call it please.

Oh, found my trim problem tonight. The plastic gear strip on the top of the steering helmet was broke. Hmmm... Got a spare and might just replace it, or pull the outdrive/motor and replace the whole steering helmet to tighten up some other things... dang boats... LOL

I'll get the seal and rings from H&H by Wednesday this week. What oil is best?
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information