+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LOOKING FOR 23'

Default 23 Billfisher

I wasn't asked. However, I wouldn't trade mine either... The Secret Spot is perfect for my needs; tows long distances with very little effort and rides great south of the point. Additionally, I spend a lot of time on multipal over night trips up and around the Point Conception area and have always been comfortable (knock on wood). Just wish I had a diesel like No Slack.

http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/...pot_07-med.JPG

Default Great Boats

Yeah, thats exactly why I am trying to replace mine!! I was thinking of a 26' cause there seems to be a few more on the market, but I think that might be a lot of boat for towing down to Baja! Plus the 23' seems to be a very seaworthy boat and if I cant fish in that I probably shouldnt be fishing or at least if I am it wont be very much fun!

We were talking to Steve Blackman a few months back about a 23'. He still has the molds and said he would accecpt a order for a 23' Outer banks, Albacore or express but as for the billfisher he said no .
    Just 4 Fun

Default 23's

Whats the difference between the Albacore and Express? I always thought for some reason that they were the same. I wonder why he wouldnt build a billfisher model??

A 23' Billfisher?

Guess I don't know all the 23' models. NoSlack's is an Albacore, right Mike?
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Wizard, give me some input on the ride of that 26 compared to the 23' or any other boat you have ridden on if you could??

The 26' Blackman is a tank in many ways. Built extremely strong compared to factory boats. Heavy because of it. The best ride is actually in head-on, quartering, and medium side seas. Following seas are a bit less then ideal, a good size following sea will push the backend around sometimes.

I can say I trust I will make it home alive from 100 miles out, in 6-8 foot, 4-6 second, seas in my Billfisher, albeit not fast in any boat. Can't say that with a lot of the mainstream plastic boats out there, but I won't name names like those Baysomething, Seathings, etc. LOL The Volvo Penta diesel takes a good year to get used to mechanically. I do most of my own work and really appreciate the experience I have drawn of others on this board. Only time I let a shop touch it they just charged me a bundle and didn't improve/fix a thing. But I wouldn't trade it for an outboard or gas ever. Mine was repowered with the KAD 42 - 240HP turbo and supercharged back in 92'. I can do about 22-24 knots cruise at only 3100 rpm. At 3500, it almost goes to fast for a nice ride unless flat, and then I do about 25-26 knots.

Bottom line, it's a fairly simply boat, rock solid. Lot of wood on my older 83' taking some time to cleanup, but the later ones are mostly fglass and got that nice cockpit trim I don't have. Also wish I had them newer tinted windows. Mine are the old clear lexan that is all hazed (one of my projects is to replace them.). I do have the fold down aluminum arch which is nice, outriggers and antennas all fold down with two bolts.

I guess I could go on-and-on, but will stop here. Mine doesn't ride as nice as the newer ones imho, but if you want a ride someday, I will have mine all fine-tuned and back in the water in a couple more weeks. This boat would be really good with the new DPX outdrives imho. The older DP-D/E outdrives have too much slop in the steering.

Hope that helped /breath.. haha

P.S. Bought Mark Wisch's book on fishing Catalina at DOTD. Didn't know he spent several years gaining that YT and WSB experience on a 26' Blackman till I started reading and he mentions it every few pages. Cool.
    Last edited by Wizard; 04-28-2005 at 08:54 PM.
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

The Billfisher is the flybridge model, like a mini 26'. They don't have the mold for the flybridge anymore is why they won't build one.

I thought the Express and albacore were the same, like Brian's "Old Blue".

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Steve only has the design for a 23' express but has yet to build one. Designed it a few years back but the buyer had some $$$ issues. I think i have the flyer at home if i can find it ill attempt to post it. The design is similar to Dos Pelones 26' Express.
    Just 4 Fun

Towing any boat in Baja is an interesting experience. I’m not sure that your knuckles will get any whiter with a 26 than with a 23. Both boats would be good Baja boats. I’m using a triple axle on my 26 and that really stabilizes the load and helps with the pothole experience. I don’t know what the weight is on the 23 but it I’m sure it’s well with the limits of a 2 axle. The 26 is right at the max for a two axle trailer and Baja roads are a test for sure. Mine will get the test this fall when she goes to Puerto Vallarta for six months. Fourteen hundred miles on some of Mexico’s finest.

Glenn, great description on the 26 Billfisher! You really captured the essence of the boat.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information