+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LOOKING FOR 23'

Default 23' vs 26'

Thanks for all the info and help guys!! I guess maybe I should consider a 26. I just thought it would be more boat than I really need, but I guess you can never have to much boat!! After owning that 23 of mine and towing it all the way to Cabo two years in row, I had pretty much considered it the best boat for the job. Like the Patron said it probably wouldnt be much more of a white-knuckled ride with a 26'. Plus when the seas are up I would be thankful for those extra white-knuckles that the 26 would give towing down the road! Now I just have to find a nice one with low hours in good shape. Anybody know anything about the 82' billfisher for 48k sitting at blackman's yard? Or seen it up close??

Default Towing a 26'

I towed my 26' Billfisher to San Quintin last year, and launched it on the dirt. I wouldn't do that last part again. I have the dual-axle Aros baja trailer. The boat, full of gas and gear, and trailer, come out to about 9 or 10K lbs. I guess if you're going all the way down to Cabo or someplace civilized, with a big enough truck and plenty of spare stuff, towing the 26' down would be worth it. For baja fishing, dirt launching, unimproved areas, I wouldn't take the 26'. I'm even looking for a panga type boat for baja fishing.
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Cool Baja Trip

Yeah, we did that once in Rancho Buena Vista! They launched are boat for $40 with a tractor from the beach. That wasnt to bad, but the funniest part about the whole deal was as they were backing it in they told us that the wind usually comes up around noon so becareful. Boy they werent kidding we fished till about 11 and here it came. Within 10 to 20 minutes it was blowing a strong 35 knots and had a nice 6-9 foot wind chop one right behind the other. Needless to say it was very interesting trying to step of the Panga onto the dock after we anchored it up. We had it pulled out the next morning and got the heck out of there. They told us it blows like that for three to four months straight.

Default Puerto Vallarta?

Yale,

Giving Josh a little competition?

I can see it now - "Professor Charters". That's one class I wouldn't mind going to !

It will be interesting to see if the winter tuna fishing of last year was the norm or if it was due to the minor "El Nino"

Default 26 is a good choice

Pumphouse,

Glenn's post hit the nail on the head with the older 26s; he has put alot of work in his as has Scott on the Tenacious, I think those pre- 85 or 86 boats had plywood core decks which need a little more TLC than the pure glass ones. It wil be hard to find a cherry in those years, after you do all that repair it's hard to let it go, that's alot of heart and soul to kiss good bye. Nice 86-low 90s pop up from time to time at reasonable prices; just check the engine hours and maintenence records. Boats in the $40s are going to require a little bit to alot of work or need a new powerplant; $55 to $65 should be in great shape ready to go with decent hours (5,000 typical engine life, <2500= good, >2500 = more maintenence). I have an 87 Billfisher with close to 8800 hours, the first Volvo package had 4400+ hours when replaced, my current 41D has 4250 + on it and I am replacing the complete outdrive and bell housing as we speak. The engine is still strong. I too am waiting for the day I can change out those Lexan windows and get the newer tinted glass. Early 1990s jump up in price as does anything after 2000; there are not many of those to find. You can be a real spaz when it comes to fishing and still catch alot, these boats raise fish!

Thanks for the info Doghouse!! So if I am looking for a 26' I should look 86, 87 or newer?? I guess the downfall of the older ones would be the decks rotting out correct?

I have to agree with you, even with 23' blackman we had I have NEVER seen a boat raise fish like a blackman. I am not sure why, but I guess if it isnt broke dont fix it!! Or maybe Don just knew what the heck he was doing!!

I guess the downfall of the older ones would be the decks rotting out correct?
    I don't have any rot on my 83' with the wood deck, even now. But unlike fiberglass, I have small rust stains every season from screws under the deck and the non-skid never holds up as much as molded glass. Bottom line, glass is prettier for longer is all.
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Jeff,

It would be hard to give Josh some competition. I fished with him last month and he’s an animal. He caught more YFT over 300# this season (8) than the whole SD long range fleet combined. And you can’t forget those 300 to 800# black marling that pop every once in a while. The program impressed me to the point where I went back two weeks ago for the purpose of buying a condo at Punta Mita and now have that in process. I’ll dry storage the boat in Puerto Vallarta and keep it on a mooring at Punta Mita while I’m there. As is the case with most of my fishing I’m still attending the class, not teaching it and PV is no exception. Maybe we can go to class together sometime this year.

Fishing out of Punta Mita is sort of like going to the Coronado Islands to fish. It’s about twenty miles out to Corbitania Rock. One difference is when you get there; there may be one or two other boats max. The big difference is when you catch a skipjack you don’t gaff it but you rig it with an 11/0 circle and put it back over the side.

I think the warmer water stretched the billfish/tuna season this year but even an off year is pretty good. I guess if you can handle the storms and humidity, July through September are incredible fishing.

I’m getting the boat ready now for another San Felipe to La Paz run in June but in the fall it’s PV time.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

Quote Originally Posted by DOGHOUSE26
    Pumphouse,

Glenn's post hit the nail on the head with the older 26s; "You can be a real spaz when it comes to fishing and still catch alot"
    I take the personally....................

If you want to ride on a 26 billfisher, give me a shout.....
    Phil

For what it's Worth I have owned a couple of Blackmans, both 26's. The first was a 26' express. My current Blackman is a 26' Billfisher. I did a lot of research before buying my current boat. Pre-1985 have the wood decks. I bought my 26, 3 years ago with 450 hrs. on a 41B. I paid in the mid $40 s for it. I had no intentions of buying a new boat, but once I saw it, I had to have it.

Thanks Mike
    Mac/Attack

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information