+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: oil in the engine compatement

Default oil in the engine compatement

My billfisher 23 has a 200 hp volvo, I just came back from a trip to sanfelipe,
    just before the trip I change the oil from regular to syntetic (MOBIL 1,)
    Back in calif. I found oil in the engine room. I can't figure out were is the engine oil is cuming from. could it be brom a over spill.
    does eny body have any idea about this situation?

thanks,

WERNER

I don't know about switching to synthetic oil but, did you check your oil pan for leaks?

Scott

Is the engine a 41?? How much oil. Maybe the oil filter is loose. Or, maybe some residue oil from the oil change. If the engine is a 41, that is a TIGHT fit!!

RT

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Fish
    Is the engine a 41?? How much oil. Maybe the oil filter is loose. Or, maybe some residue oil from the oil change. If the engine is a 41, that is a TIGHT fit!!

RT
    RT is very interesting that you mention a 41,
    this is my 1st diesel engine so please tellme what this means,
    and the oil filter is not loose and there was no residue from the oil change,
    I figure that there was about a quart of oil,
    I will check scott's sugestion about the oil pan next sunday,
    I plan to clean the bilge like new, and observe to find out if there is more oil because this really worry me.
    thanks

The 41 is the 6 cylinder in line 200HP model; 185 HP @ outdrive shaft. It has a turbo and an aftercooler.

The earlier 6 cylinder 40s just had the turbo, 140-165HP. Most 23s came with this motor as did the early 26s.

I don't think you are supposed to run synthetic in Volvo diesel motors, I asked when I first bought my Blackman and they said just stick to standard 30 or 15/40 wt oil. I could be wrong however.

Check the crankcase breather on the rear port side of the engine.

When you get the bilge clean, put some of that white oil absorbent pad under the engine. When the oil drips it will spot the pad and not get sloshed around by any water in the bilge. Were you find the oil spots, look straight up and you'll fine your leak.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Default 41

The engine is the 41 because i know it is the 200hp and is turbo charged and has a water-to-air intercooler. You are right, the fit is rather tight.

And, if you ever need a part for a 41, check with me first....RT

Default Where is the oil?

The early AQAD41A engines seem to have a problem puking oil out of the breather at the back of the engine. This is especially true if you overfill (or fill to the top of the dipstick) the engine with oil. Most people fill their 41A engines to about the halfway mark on the dipstick. I'm not sure if you have an 'A' engine or not.

Volvo made several models of the 41 series, A, B, D and P are the ones I'm aware of. The 'A' engines were the first generation. Most likely late 86 early 87. Volvo made some modifications to increase compression (reduce start up smoke) and called it the 'B' engine. Other modifications resulted in the 'D' and 'P' engines.

Check to see if your engine is overfilled with oil. There should be a name plate on the engine that tells what model it is.

Good luck on the new engine.

Bill

If the oil leak is not noticable when you look down from the deck take a mirror, I use an 8 X 10, and lay it on the floor under the engine in differant locations. Check the tiny whole under the aftercooler in the corner. I think it's purpose is to release the oil that comes out of the turbo and poors down the cooler (from inside). The synthetic may be passing throught the bearings in the turbo. When the cooler gets too much oil it retains heat longer and it (the oil) doesn't allow the cooler to cool the air.
    Hijole

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information