+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: oil in the engine compatement

Sleigher Guest

If it's the breather their are a few ways to fix the problem, let me know and I can send you pictures of my repair.
    If it is the breather, your vent filter will be real oily and there will be a nice pool of oil slightly above your starter. As you bob around that can spill over and cause a mess.
    Other than that their are lots of places that oil can spill from.
    Clean it real well, get your mirror and start looking.

Good luck,

Peter

Unhappy

I finally found the oil leak,
    it is coming out of the oil cooler, right above tho oil filter,
    corrosion i gess,
    I have pictures but I do not know how to bring them in.
    I really thanks all for the attention to this problem,
    if some body know if this part can be repared or were to buy it
    i would really appreciate the sugestions,
    after cleaning the bilge I was ready to take off inthe boat for the weekend but but know...
    Last edited by Werner; 05-26-2005 at 07:02 PM.

There are 3 bolts that secure the oil cooler to the engine. I would first make sure they are tight. If they are and you still have a leak, it could be the 3 o-rings that are on the back of the cooler that press against the engine. I have heard of these breaking down or not on well. If they have never been changed, the synthetic oil could possibly leak through if they are OK but are hard and brittle.
    You have ro remove the pipes coming in and going out. Take the 3 bolts off and you will see the 3 o-rings on the back. They probably will only cost a few dollars. I put them in with just white grease to hold them secure. When you push the bolts in they have to stay secure and slip into the grove.
    If you decide to take the cooler apart and clean it thats another job but no big deal.
    Hijole

thanks for the recomendation hijole, but I can see from were the oil is coming out, I even took a picture of it with my digital but I dont know how to bring this into this thread,
    any ways, the oil in coming from were the brass cup meets the main block of the oil cooler, I can see corrosion at the lower part were the brass meet the main body.

Werner

Werner,

That's why I love this site (thanks again Charlie). Can you tell us more about the problem so that we can all learn about how to prevent it. Many of us have the same engine or something close. For instance 1) Is the corrosion on the top of the cup or bottom? 2)Do you attribute the corrosion to saltwater (salt) forming on it? 3)What year is you engine? 4) What would you recommend to avoid this in the future?

I'm a rather poor retired Navy guy that needs to protect my investment.

Thanks again,

Scott

Here are the pictures of the part:

This picture was taken just as the engine was cranked, notice the oil starting to gush out at the bottom.

There is a large o-ring that stops the oil from coming out from the place that is shown in the pix. Obviously it's time to replace the large o-ring. Once removed the cooler takes 2 large o-rings, one one each side. FRom what I can see in the picture the oil leak starts just above the red arrow you typed in the pix. The brass plug is screwed into the piece that looks like a round cooler (radiator) inside. You can't see the cooler (radiator) until you push it out. The cooler has to be removed in order to replace the o-rings.
    First the pipes have to be disconected.
    Then the oil filter removed. You can see one of the 3 bolts just above the oil filter (I think it's a 13mm) that goes into the engine in your picture. Not the bolts that are going up. You can romove the bolts going up once you remove the entire assembly otherwise you will get oil all over.
    Do you think you are going to give it a try?
    It really is not that hard. The pieces are large so you don't have to worry about losing small pieces. I think there are 3 or 4 o-rings in the back, 2 large ones on the cooler, a fiber gasket to keep the water from leaking out and two other o-rings at each end where the springs are for the oil preassure. I also replace the o-rings at the end of the pipe going in and the one coming out.
    Hijole

I forgot to metion the obvious. I would first clean the area before you remove things. It's hard to tell from the pix because the area has blistered paint and oil stains.
    The section that has the brass plug (cooler) is copper. If there is a zinc there, maybe it has corrosion and a small hole. On mine, the housing is aluminum.
    Hopefully it's just the o-ring. If there is corrosion on the outside maybe it can be soddered. If it's inside you may get salt water in your oil but that can also be soddered at a radiator shop. I guess it's hard to tell if the thickness of the copper is corroded so if you need another cooler maybe the Wizzard has one laying around the yard in Fallbrook not far from Riverside. He may ask you to help pick the avocados.
    Hijole

Default oil cooler

Hijole;
    thanks for the tips,
    I did get everything disassembly,
    I think I mest up the radiator,
    the radiator housing has some corrotion in the lower part as you see in the picture, the o ring was pushed out by the oil pressure I gess.
    please guive me more info about the Wizzard, a phone #?
    I need to locate a radiator.

thank you,

Werner,
    Last edited by Werner; 05-30-2005 at 12:14 PM.

I made a mistake, it's not Wizzard it's Moo Fish with parts back yard. Look him up on the members list and send him a email. Sorry to hear about the cooler. Are you sure it can't be repaired at a radiator shop? They can also pressure test it.
    Hijole

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information