+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Got a tire recommendation?

Default Got a tire recommendation?

Just put a set of BFG All Terrains on my pickup. Figured I couldn't go wrong with em.

Well, they make my truck feel like it's running on marshamallows. I'm afraid to hook the boat up and try towing it! The alignment guys are telling me I need something with more sidewall plys to give the tires more resistance to sideways flex, the BFGs only have 3 which is just one more than passenger car tires.

I was hoping to have an aggresive tread for the occasional off roading but I can't have that at the expense of control and stability.

Do any of you guys tow with a 3/4 ton 4X4 and have a recommendation for a decent tire?

Brian on Old Blue (all over the road)

I think the tires are great tires. I think the guys are blowing smoke, those tires are on lots of trucks.

I tow the boat with a 78 Dodge truck with cheapo COSCO tires and no problems.
    Hijole

I'm running some cheapo Falkin RV tires I bought at Evans. 2 ply on the sides and 4 on the treads.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Default I see them on all kinds of trucks...

but they are usually wider than stock tires. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. My bro has some wide ones on his F350 dual cab long bed 4X4 and tows a big ol toybox with them and has no problems.

I put stock size 235-85-R16 on my little 3/4 4X4 and it requires a lot of attention to keep it going the direction I want it to. If I make a slight dodge manuever as if to avoid hitting something it's got a scary yaw to it, I can't imagine how unstable it would be towing - I don't want to find out.

Maybe it's got something to do with the straight axle on the front end? The weight of the truck relative to the tire size? (5300 lb truck). Not sure why darn near every truck I see can run them but not this one. The BFG web site has no tire recommendations for any truck with a GVWR over 6500 lbs or so in the All Terrains - maybe this is why, but theres plenty of folks running them on heavier GVWR trucks than mine (8100).

I have to take these back but I'm at a loss as to what to put on this thing!

Brian.

235s are too narrow, I have 265s BF stockers on my 05 F250 4X4Crew and it hauls my Blackman just fine. I would like to get a set of 315s but I think I'd need a lift.

I run 315 x 17 BFG All Terrains on my 97 Powerstroke 4x4 crewcab. I installed a shackle reversal kit on my ford. It leveled the front with the rear, about 3". Boat tows great. I wish the truck would ride as smooth as it does with the boat in tow.

Mike
    Mac/Attack

Doghouse, the guy at COSCO gave me several tire sizes that will fit on my f-250 based on a formula that they have to figure out the range of tires they will install on trucks. The width and height dimensions are used for the formula. He told me to look on the back of the rim to determine the rim size. Mine came with the 235 x 85 x 16 (on 7” rims) and I have experienced the crappy ride as Old Blue mentions. Your rims might be 8” wide since your tires are wider. I'll have to get wider rims when I go to wider tires but I'm not sure how wide without messing with the lift.
    Hijole

paradise Guest

I have a chevy 2500 HD with 35x12.50 BFG's and i tow a 40 ft weekend warrior toy hauler with it as well as the boat. We have two of these trucks with the same tires, and have never had a problem

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information