+ Reply to Thread

Thread: YF, dorado, and bigeye slot looking grim

Default YF, dorado, and bigeye slot looking grim

With the counts way down locally (within 100 miles) looks like the points for these three species will be very difficult. Mike had the right idea about maximizing points on the inshore stuff. I'm fishing a couple days this weekend in search of whatever pelagics we can find. After talking to a couple folks we might re-think our strategy and try for the tournament win with ling cod and white seabass south of Punta Banda.

Good luck,
    Scott

Looks like we'll be hanging close again this weekend. Last weekend I had orders to re-stock the halibut section of the fridge, so I never got out of the bay. We did manage to lay in another 6 week supply of flat meet, and that should carry us over until the bugs and butter kick in.

The bay is holding a good number of halibut now, but nothing big enough to tip the scale in the tournament.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Default YFT Moving In?

1 day boats had good scores Monday out by the Mushroom on Monday 9-19; maybe this thunderstorm from the south might push the fish close enough for us to fill the YFT slots. Hope the weather holds for a decent ride to the grounds; this might be our last shot.

I've got 2 more weekends to scrape up some points, then I be out of town until the end of October. By the time I get back from visiting my mom, I exspect to be in second or third place and the vote to end the tournament will be a done deal.

Mike

In typical years we get a push of fish 3 days after a tropical depression such as the one we currently have passes through; we might see a wad of YFT, YT, Dodos, and BET come to the eastern edge of the temp break which starts outside the 213 and runs north outside the 390-371-302-9 mile bank. We should see something by Thurs-Friday if it happens.

All my vacation days are used up or set aside for the visit to my mom's. I did hold back a few sick days just incase something like that busts loose.

Cough, cough, I don't feel so good.

Mike

Mike, most of us would vote for you to go and visit mom.
    Just get back in time to get some bugs for the tacos. I'll take the pictures.
    Hijole

First hand information from fresh off the water.... Returned last night from 3 days of fishing down south and out west. Weather was snotty and even a little scarey (lightning)!! Opted to cancel a midnight departure from the Coral Monday night when the lightning was lighting up the whole sky 360 degrees around us. Bottom line for us was we only caught 2 nice yellowtail the entire three days. One at Todos Santos and the other on a paddy near the 371 yesterday. The only good news that I have to report is that even though the chlorophyll maps have shown the water around the 390 and 371 to be rather green we found that it was warm (up to 68.3 degrees), blue and clear with a lot of big paddies and lots of meter marks from the 390 to the 371. Saw a jumper there also. I'll be willing to bet that we'll see some good numbers of fish being caught from that area soon.
    On day one we did have a marlin looked at three lures in our spread and finally chose to attack the small blk/purple jethead/daisy chain in the short corner. Unfortunately it dodn't stick for long. That incident took place just outside the 213 in 65.5 degree water.

Mike,
    Your lead is safe ..for now!

Later,
    Scott

Tuna counts dumped again yesterday, Adios Make-A-Wish! $90 a head, $250 fuel, $50 bait, $50 ice/drinks/lunch, $750 total for 3 YFT no thank you!

I hope that break you saw Scott will turn into a fish highway going this way!
    Last edited by DOGHOUSE26; 09-21-2005 at 09:33 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information