+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just can't seem to get it done

Default Just can't seem to get it done

Did a kid trip late Saturday afternoon. Weather was gorgeous. Plan was to put the kids on some mackerel, show them some dolphin, then attempt to get that elusive (for me) ling cod. I know it should be simple. My problem is that I can't see dedicating time to catching ling cod whan there is any chance at all of catching a dodo or YFT so, we ventured about 10 miles off of LJ where the water was absolutely gorgeous blue and 69.5 degrees. Within 30 minutes we saw two marlin jumpers. In went two marlin jigs and two tuna feathers. After 30 more minutes of dragging lures (now 5:30 PM) I thought I'd better head towards LJ so I could get the new kid (friend of my kids) onto some kind of fish. Just about that time the port zuker gets zipped and unbuttons. The fish came back and zipped it again but didn't stick. Beautiful mackerel onboard too but, nobody else onboard that knew how to drop it back. Oh well back to LJ. Kids are killing the mackies with small spoons. I'm so busy unhooking mackerel and playing safety man that I cannot even attempt a drop on my own. I tell the kids to stop fishing after they each got 20 plus macks. Now it's my turn (and almost dark). Dropped down a big white fish trap with a squid strip and get nailed by a beautiful red in 105 feet of water. That's all I could produce. Nack to the dock with only one edible fish and no points. On a better note the wife and kids are actually asking to go to the Coral next weekend. Yehaa! I might get to drop them off in a room and fish the lower 500 if it looks good!!

I propose that we conclude this tourney (2005 leader board) on 01 November. Anybody agree?

Scott
    Unforyunately the kids were having so muc

Those lingcod and rockcod points might be harder to collect than I thought. I was surprized how few fish were at one of the more productive spots over the weekend.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Default Nov 1

November 1 is good for me

Think how stupid I felt when we baited a tailer feeding on sauries outside the 181 Saturday afternoon; no love so when I reel my mack in towards the boat here comes a 75-100# mako flying towards my bait, I get picked up, I don't wait too long as I only have 100# flouro leader on and I'm hoping for a corner of the mouth hook job, and load up and he's on for 5 seconds then gone. I'm thinking chewed off hook but I get the hook back! My other crewman Tim with the dropback gets bit and waits a little longer, loads up and pop we get the hook back on that one too. I have NEVER had trouble hooking a mako before, but 2 in a row I better go to church!

November 1 is fine with me however there is a slight chance the fishing might improve with all those Hurricanes/tropical storms coming up the line from Baja.

Let me quote something I heard last week. "Makos and lings are the icing on my cake, don't want to shoot my wad too early".

I hope you didn't jinx yourself on that one Jeff.

November 1 should be good for me as well.

Mike

I haven't screamed "I want that Mako" since I was 12 years old! The sharks were stupid then, I must be stupider now! I haven't shot my wad yet, just still jackin!

Mike did you hoop this weekend?

Just got in from trip #2. We're spending the early part of the season looking around down the beach on the outside.

It doesn't look good for the commercial guys this year. 8 keepers on Saturday and 6 more tonight.

We might be eating lobster helper at the BBQ this year if things don't pick up soon.

Mike
    Last edited by NoSlack; 10-03-2005 at 10:26 PM.

Lets stop the bull.
    Are we going to have anything going this weekend?
    Hijole

I'm going to go out and get 100 pts on a Marlin, then hook up a friend with a little 200+ mako. Ok, that's my aspirations this weekend. If it happens, I'll actually have to go catch another ling and remember to take a pic, then get Mike to take me out for a halibut so I can beat him... LOL
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Yes Hijole,

Take your wife to dinner @ Bali Hai Saturday Night so we can steal your truck for parts too!

Has Bob heard anything and when is SDR&R going to change their meeting place, I'm not going back!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information