#0, Worm Coral
Posted by Nomad on Feb-16-03 at 02:21 PM

Pulled the Nomad yesterday and was surprised to see how invasive the worm coral has been on the outdrive. Of course it's everywhere I can't reach to chip it off. Anybody have an easier solution or is this even something I should be concerned with? Thanks!

Charlie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Worm Coral
Posted by chrisfish on Feb-17-03 at 09:21 PM
In response to message #0

Hi Charlie,
yes I am alive and miss the camaraderie of the fishing board. But very busy with my 3 children. Hope all is well with you. How is Charlie’s pitching going? I have an idea about the worm coral, what if we put your boat in my slip for a couple of days and see if the chlorine will kill all the growth.
I just finished a two-week restoration of the Seanna and she has a little different look. I took out the tackle center and installed regular helm chairs. Plus all the regular maintenance stuff

Give me a call some time, I would like to see your boat.

Chris cell (909) 288-8275

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Worm Coral
Posted by Nomad on Feb-18-03 at 07:19 AM
In response to message #1

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-03 AT 07:20 AM (PST)

Hi Chris, good to hear from you! I removed most of the coral that I could get to, I may need to consider a BottomLiner, thats probably the most effective way of eliminating it (have you had any problems with corrosion on the tabs or prop, Don thinks this is caused by the chlorine in the liner, others I've talked to disagree). The upgrades to the Seanna sound great, can't wait to see it. Charlie is pitching for Palomar. Has been first out of the pen in long relief but is doing well enough to earn himself a start this Thursday. I'll give you a call and see if we can hook up!
Charlie

#3, RE: Worm Coral
Posted by chrisfish on Feb-18-03 at 03:16 PM
In response to message #2

I never like to disagree with Don on anything but he is wrong on the liner. ZERO corrosion on anything and boots were in good shape after 2 years and no growth anywhere. You just can't beat that.
Having my shore power plugged in was eating up my props. I think the liner does have an affect in that regards but not the chlorine

#4, RE: Worm Coral
Posted by Hijole on Feb-22-03 at 09:02 AM
In response to message #3

Would you believe that in SD Bay I never saw any sign of the worms. I think it is a Mission Bay thing. Could be all of the navy bottom paint in the SD bay that kills everything.
When I get home I use a small powerwasher. It cleans most of the stuff the diver left on but it is minimal. He really does a good job. If you use a powerwasher make sure not to spray the rubber bellows with a direct hit. It will puncture the boot. I disconect the small dome/shell on the top of the outdrive and roll it back to clean and paint the back. With it rolled back you can get to most of the top part without any problems.
After the powerwash I spray some of the Bathroom-Clorox I use when I clean the deck or fish hold to spray the worms and the algae. As you know it smells kind of "ripe". I suppose it is just bleach.
I leave it on for several minutes then spray-wash again.
If you go to Arizona you can buy the paint with the tin that is not sold here in CA. West Marine sells it in all of their stores. When you come back the customs official only asks if you have any fruit or vegtables.Make sure not to bring those back.
There is a small 16ft Glaspar boat on "k dock" just in front of the NOMAD.This guy uses the right stuff. I have never seen anything grow on his hull. It's red and he either has a contact in Ensenada or in a shipyard in SD.
NOMAD, did you have any electolysis on the props and trim tabs?
I've always been interested in a liner. The boats around that have them look like the hull is brand new. I too have been leary about the clorine on the various metals but it seems that Chrisfish is working on the reaserch for us. I would like to know more myself about the liners.

#5, RE: Worm Coral
Posted by Nomad on Feb-22-03 at 09:38 AM
In response to message #4

Haven't had any problems with electrolisis, just the worm coral. I don't remember this problem down at Kona Kai either. Thanks for the idea on powerwashing too

#6, RE: Worm Coral
Posted by chrisfish on Feb-24-03 at 08:37 AM
In response to message #5

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-03 AT 08:37 AM (PST)

Charlie, If you need to use a power washer I have one.
chris

#7, RE: Worm Coral-Bottom Paint
Posted by Sleigher on Feb-24-03 at 08:42 AM

The local West Marines wouldn't sell me the bottom paint that they recommended but I ordered it online and they delivered it right to my house.
Go figure.

#8, RE: Worm Coral
Posted by Nomad on Feb-25-03 at 07:42 AM

Hijole,
Who are you using for your dive service. I hear around the docks that there is someone doing some sort of underwater power washing. Heard it works really well. I've got a power washer and will try your technique.

Charlie

#9, RE: Worm Coral
Posted by Hijole on Feb-27-03 at 07:56 PM
In response to message #8

I use Alpha-One dive service. Thier number is 859-502-1300. They have a boat in SD Bay and one in Mission Bay. They have a motor powered system that has a power washer that blasts the outdrive area. They clean the boat with the same motor driven system that turns a large buffer for the hull. The good is that they really leave the boat clean. The bad might be that maybe paint comes off that will make us paint the system faster.Last month I took the boat to Dana to change the oil and zincs. When I put it back in the water I must have taken off some of the paint from the carpet area. The diver sent me a report that there were 4 areas on the hull with missing paint. He also gives me a report on the status of the zincs and quick inspection report of what he sees.
I call them to verify the date or change the date for the cleaning as close to the day I take the boat out. Usually I don't have to clean much of the Worm Coral.They take care of that.
Several things I also do is to use the hot water from the water heater in the garage. I connect it to the powerwasher. That combined with the Clorox and blast of hot water takes care of the worms and the smell. At times I have noticed that if I can't get to it the day I bring the boat home the Worms get hard and dry and are also easier to get off the next day.